PSA FEDARM BULK AMMO DANGEROUS

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: PSA FEDARM BULK AMMO DANGEROUS

Post by dellet »

DesertEngineer wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:35 pm
bangbangping wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:57 pm
DesertEngineer wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:38 pm I have seen charges as low as 1gn of powder and as high as 18gns.
:shock: That's nuts.

What is the headstamp of the brass? Can you measure the neck diameter of a loaded round?

Yeah I was really surprised to see as far of deviation as I did.

The brass is random 223 and 556 stamped converted cases.
GFL, LCC, CBC, Aguila, GA, ICC etc.

neck diameter ranges from .333 to 338
Maybe you should send them this list and a copy of the SAAMI specs,
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=88599

Throw everything over .334 in the garbage.

Those assholes should lose their manufacturing license. It’s almost like you got the culls from the rigorous inspection process applied to their match ammo.

I would send it back since it does not meet SAAMI spec and is deadly to fire.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
MeGrunt

Post by MeGrunt »

DesertEngineer wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:38 pm I only put about maybe 10 rounds though my gun before I realized there were primer blowouts. The very next round caused the jam. I quit using them.

I read the warnings but even still I wouldn’t expect them to be this bad. One would expect they are just covering their butt legally if something happens. If a few every once in a while caused a problem I can live with that. But the fact that it’s literally most of them is kinda absurd. The “factory” loads they sell were not in stock. I bought them primarily as a source of brass to reload with and thought I’d at least have some fun blowing through them. I have good ammo and hand loads for serious range time but sometimes it’s just fun to blow through tons of ammo.

I’ve put at least a thousand rounds of federal 150gn supers through it without any issues.

I have seen charges as low as 1gn of powder and as high as 18gns. Unfortunately not a typo. At least a third of them has such issues. I’m glad I stopped and weighed them.

Where I live tracers are legal and we shoot them all the time. If you can’t use them than that’s too bad for you but don’t give someone else hell for it.
Did you actually pull the bullets and weigh the powder charges? Or did you just weigh the complete cartridge?

I ask because unless you know the brass weight of each cartridge then weighing the complete cartridge doesn't tell you a damn thing. You can easily get 10 gr variation in brass weight alone. Then add in variation in projectile weight.

Also do you know if all rounds were loaded with the same powder?
DesertEngineer

Post by DesertEngineer »

MeGrunt wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:53 pm
DesertEngineer wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:38 pm I only put about maybe 10 rounds though my gun before I realized there were primer blowouts. The very next round caused the jam. I quit using them.

I read the warnings but even still I wouldn’t expect them to be this bad. One would expect they are just covering their butt legally if something happens. If a few every once in a while caused a problem I can live with that. But the fact that it’s literally most of them is kinda absurd. The “factory” loads they sell were not in stock. I bought them primarily as a source of brass to reload with and thought I’d at least have some fun blowing through them. I have good ammo and hand loads for serious range time but sometimes it’s just fun to blow through tons of ammo.

I’ve put at least a thousand rounds of federal 150gn supers through it without any issues.

I have seen charges as low as 1gn of powder and as high as 18gns. Unfortunately not a typo. At least a third of them has such issues. I’m glad I stopped and weighed them.

Where I live tracers are legal and we shoot them all the time. If you can’t use them than that’s too bad for you but don’t give someone else hell for it.
Did you actually pull the bullets and weigh the powder charges? Or did you just weigh the complete cartridge?

I ask because unless you know the brass weight of each cartridge then weighing the complete cartridge doesn't tell you a damn thing. You can easily get 10 gr variation in brass weight alone. Then add in variation in projectile weight.

Also do you know if all rounds were loaded with the same powder?
I pulled the bullets and weighed the charges.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Just thought id chime in to let you guys know they sell 50 BMG ammo too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even belted 50 bmg !

Now that is scary !

And one time i saw an add they had when they were looking for workers to build AR's too......watch out for those guns !

by the sounds of it they load ammo like they take care of their property that looks terrible.

(Been there once, got some family in the state)

Its a business that is not in a good part of town.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
ironhead7544

Post by ironhead7544 »

Concerning getting a stuck round out of the chamber, you can try using a screwdriver of the proper size between the bolt carrier and the frame. Take the upper off if possible and look down int the front area at the bottom of the bolt carrier. There will be a slight gap that the screwdriver will fit into. You may be able to move the bolt carrier far enough to get the round loose. It may marr things up a bit. Of course, this needs to be at a safe place with no one down range.

I have been handloading since 1972. I have loaded for many types of cartridges. I recently started loading for the two 300 Blackout rifles I have. It is the fussiest round I ever loaded. I bought some converted brass at the gun show and it was a disaster. I would say dont do that. Real new factory brass was no problem. LC brass converted is OK too. Some other brass is ok too, but a lot isnt. There is a list on this site of what not to get.

You must use a case gauge. I would say use it on factory ammo before firing.

So, dont buy 300 Blackout ammo marked seconds.
DesertEngineer

Post by DesertEngineer »

ironhead7544 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:26 pm Concerning getting a stuck round out of the chamber, you can try using a screwdriver of the proper size between the bolt carrier and the frame. Take the upper off if possible and look down int the front area at the bottom of the bolt carrier. There will be a slight gap that the screwdriver will fit into. You may be able to move the bolt carrier far enough to get the round loose. It may marr things up a bit. Of course, this needs to be at a safe place with no one down range.

I have been handloading since 1972. I have loaded for many types of cartridges. I recently started loading for the two 300 Blackout rifles I have. It is the fussiest round I ever loaded. I bought some converted brass at the gun show and it was a disaster. I would say dont do that. Real new factory brass was no problem. LC brass converted is OK too. Some other brass is ok too, but a lot isnt. There is a list on this site of what not to get.

You must use a case gauge. I would say use it on factory ammo before firing.

So, dont buy 300 Blackout ammo marked seconds.

Unfortunately at the time I could not get the upper and lower to release from each other due to the bolt being stuck back and slightly in the buffer tube.

I actually read about the screwdriver idea from the bottom about 2 days after I marred my cerekote and broke my stock... at least it was an excuse to upgrade, I got a magpul SLS because it fit the foam in my case with minimal adjustment and it’s way nicer.

The tip about the brass is good to know. What manufacturer/ head stamp was on the converted brass you bought, could help explain why occasionally these are still jamming (though no where near as badly) even after being resized. At least I could separate any of the cases marked with that out.

Thanks.
barnetmill

Post by barnetmill »

This is my first post. I am here specifically to find out about 300 blackout reloading.
I purchased re-manufactured ammo that is similar from another source. So far, no problems, but it was sized a little greater in dimensions that is not surprising. I did not try to force cartridges in. I tried some remington factory and while they chambers, they were tight.
I swapped out the bolt for a spare that I had on hand and all is good. I have some factory new brass and plan to do some loading. I have a bucket of of used 5.56 military brass case that I eventually place to convert to 300 blackout. One, never force a round that will not chamber in an AR with that do dad that they call the forward assist. A possible use for that is for a sniper lowering the bolt on a chambered and then using using the forward assist to prevent a loud clanking sound to get the bolt to fully chamber a round. Use it to force a round and if not successful you will have problem .

I was hoping that russian steel case ammo would be soon on sale, but that does not seem to be happening.

I am new to ARs, but not to reloading and semi-auto fighting rifles. G3 type, Garand, M14, AK types, 30 US Carbine, etc.
What I ordered was
Stryker – 300 AAC Blackout 147 Gr. – 250 Rounds

Description: Stryker 300 AAC Blackout ammunition consists of Lake City brass, boxer-primers and projectiles (magnetic). Designed for medium range target practice, training and plinking. This line of ammunition is 100% American made.

Suitable for AR-15 Rifles or other 300 Blackout Rifle enthusiast. These rounds are supersonic which means they will more consistent in medium range target practice, however they will be louder than 300 Blackout subsonic rounds due to the rounds crossing the sound barrier.
barnetmill

Post by barnetmill »

[/quote]

Unfortunately at the time I could not get the upper and lower to release from each other due to the bolt being stuck back and slightly in the buffer tube.

I actually read about the screwdriver idea from the bottom about 2 days after I marred my cerekote and broke my stock... at least it was an excuse to upgrade, I got a magpul SLS because it fit the foam in my case with minimal adjustment and it’s way nicer.

The tip about the brass is good to know. What manufacturer/ head stamp was on the converted brass you bought, could help explain why occasionally these are still jamming (though no where near as badly) even after being resized. At least I could separate any of the cases marked with that out.

Thanks.
[/quote]
Being new to ARs I will ask. Could one have removed the buffer tube.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

[/quote]
Being new to ARs I will ask. Could one have removed the buffer tube.
[/quote]Yes...

Welcome to the forum folks...

I'm trying my best to not make a forward assist joke. ;)

300BLK Ammo is not forgiving at all.
Depending on the powder, 2 - 4 tenths over can be catastrophic.
(AA#9 is a good example that Dellet can elaborate on. :shock: )
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
dieselherb

Post by dieselherb »

A round that,was sold as 147 grain buy was a 110 grain with only 15 grains of H110 powder, blew up my rifle!