Hornady 110gr GMX Full Boar

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ABNAK

Hornady 110gr GMX Full Boar

Post by ABNAK »

First off, greetings! New here but on a number of other boards.

I have a 9" barreled 300BLK pistol. I have about 300rds of the new Full Boar 110gr supers, but no chronograph. Hornady's website puts them at 2350 fps out of a 16" barrel. Does anyone have any idea what they do out of a 9" or similar barrel? This is primarily a PDW-type of weapon, not for hunting. I know the Barnes VOR-TX 110gr loads are the supersonic standard by which all others are measured, but the GMX is a little less expensive and is a copper alloy bullet so less copper fouling in the barrel.

Basically, does this load sound reasonably effective for two-legged threats out of a short barrel?

Thanks in advance.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 110gr GMX Full Boar

Post by BlogSarge »

I haven't tried any of the full boar yet.

The Barnes 110 advertises similar velocity from a 16 inch barrel and out of my 8 inch CMmG barrel I average 2105. So you should be in the mid 2100s or so for a bal park average.
ABNAK

Post by ABNAK »

Thanks!
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

Not to compare apples to oranges, but FWIW the TAP versions of them were in the upper 2100's for these in many 9"ish barrel samples. I don't know how these would compare to their "full boar" offering? Most of my feedback for the TAP are positive, but there is a preference towards the TSX over them.
ABNAK

Post by ABNAK »

Tom12.7 wrote:Not to compare apples to oranges, but FWIW the TAP versions of them were in the upper 2100's for these in many 9"ish barrel samples. I don't know how these would compare to their "full boar" offering? Most of my feedback for the TAP are positive, but there is a preference towards the TSX over them.
Hey Tom! I recognize your moniker from another site.

I believe the 110gr VOR-TX from Barnes is the generally accepted "go-to" 300BLK round for supersonic use; I won't even begin to argue that. The GMX line is Hornady's offering that ostensibly equals the Barnes all-copper loads. Their biggest claims are less copper fouling due to it being a copper alloy (95% as compared to the Barnes 100%) which not only makes it a little less expensive but leaves less copper fouling in the barrel. The "G" in GMX is for gilding metal.

The 70gr military load of the TSX in 5.56mm is the nebulous "brown tip". Supposedly VERY effective. Hornady came out with the 70gr GMX, which BH loads to 5.56 NATO pressure levels like the military's "brown tip". From what I've read the GMX has a tendency to shed a petal or two whereas the TSX mainly holds together. That appears to be the biggest gripe about the GMX vs TSX.

I doubt out of a 9" barrel that the 110gr 300BLK Full Boar version of the GMX will generate enough juice to cause petals to shed like it purportedly does in 5.56mm.

I also gather that there is a significant terminal difference between the 110gr Hornady V-MAX and the GMX Full Boar. From what I've read the V-MAX ("V" being for varmint) will explosively fragment but come up short on penetration. The GMX appears to be designed for controlled expansion and deep penetration like you'd need on hogs.
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

For these, I'd recommend the TSX for most. If for some reason the results are not acceptable, then try the GMX. If neither of those are acceptable, then I would go back and evaluate the base again.