Mid America Munitons. Ozark Ordnance under a new name?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Mid America Munitons. Ozark Ordnance under a new name?

Post by dellet »

leam wrote:
dellet wrote:
leam wrote:Just got off the phone with them, needed to establish my age, etc. Enjoyed the call and money will go out in the AM.
I exchanged a few Pm's when they first took over, seemed pretty nice and straight forward, as far as you can tell on the internet.

Please post an honest review when you get your ammo, it would be nice if they can put some of the past baggage behind they seemed to inherit.
Will do. Having been a business owner in years gone by I appreciate a chance to be judged on my own merit. Honest reviews, like good feedback, help. Even if they aren't flattering. The right thing to do is go over the review with the owner prior to publication; it would give them a chance to disprove any factual errors.
All things and past history considered, I think reviewing the review with the company before posting it, would be a huge mistake in this case.

One of the things that got Ozark in trouble and probably a big factor in their failure, was continually having people post glowing reviews on their behalf. Basically it got to the point if folks from Ozark posted, or something positive was posted it was considered to be either an outright lie, or that the company had a fake account to post from.

There were a couple of attempts to work that through, but too much damage had already been done.

Sadly leam, as a new member and your first posts being in the same subject and tradition, they could easily be seen as more of the same.

Do it any way you want, but the more transparency, the more honesty you can lay on the table, the more actual help you will be, not only to the manufacturer, but to the consumer. You can't "test it wrong". You can only explain how you did it, and what the results were. If there is a better way to make a judgement, folks here will suggest it, or ask you to try something else.

Dime size, three shot groups at 25 yards and a bullet that expands when shot into concrete, won't be of much interest. Range ammo at <$15 a box that shoots 1 1/2" at 100 and rings steel at a few hundred consistently, will.

Orders that are filled in a reasonable amount of time, and product that will at least chamber, will be a big step in the right direction.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
leam

Post by leam »

dellet wrote:Sadly leam, as a new member and your first posts being in the same subject and tradition, they could easily be seen as more of the same.

###

Dime size, three shot groups at 25 yards and a bullet that expands when shot into concrete, won't be of much interest. Range ammo at <$15 a box that shoots 1 1/2" at 100 and rings steel at a few hundred consistently, will.
If I can do 1.5" @ 100 yards you can bet I'll let you know! Probably in all CAPS and with lots of smiley faces. :)

I do understand the hesitation about my opinion; far as I know, no one here knows me at all. If you're on SigForum (leam), FAL FIles (leam_h), or Brian Enos' forums (leam) you'll have seen me stumble through learning to shoot better. I'm still just a USPSA D class and don't have any High Power Rifle rating.

Ordered the 150 grain PP at $90 for 250 rounds. Add $12.14 for shipping and a couple weeks before I can get to the range to see how they do. I have a 16" bbl AR platform 300 BLK that I've never fired. If I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards off the bench I'll smile a lot.

Will keep you updated. Don't hesitate to doubt me, I often do.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

leam wrote:
dellet wrote:Sadly leam, as a new member and your first posts being in the same subject and tradition, they could easily be seen as more of the same.

###

If I can do 1.5" @ 100 yards you can bet I'll let you know! Probably in all CAPS and with lots of smiley faces. :)

I do understand the hesitation about my opinion; far as I know, no one here knows me at all. If you're on SigForum (leam), FAL FIles (leam_h), or Brian Enos' forums (leam) you'll have seen me stumble through learning to shoot better. I'm still just a USPSA D class and don't have any High Power Rifle rating.

Ordered the 150 grain PP at $90 for 250 rounds. Add $12.14 for shipping and a couple weeks before I can get to the range to see how they do. I have a 16" bbl AR platform 300 BLK that I've never fired. If I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards off the bench I'll smile a lot.

Will keep you updated. Don't hesitate to doubt me, I often do.
You have a probably average shooter, shooting average ammo, in average conditions. A target with chronograph numbers if possible, will pretty much say all that needs to be said.

3,000 plus views and <25 comments. People are interested, but afraid to try, for what ever reason. You'll be doing a lot of people a favor.

Personally, for range ammo clays at 100 is good enough for me.
leam

Post by leam »

Borrowed a 3-9x40 scope and am lining up a chrono. Ammo will take a bit to get here since I pay by check and the holidays are upon us. Looking forward to this!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

tagged for interest. just cuz.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
CaptSparrow

Post by CaptSparrow »

I ordered some of their ammo yesterday and got the confirmation email immediately.

I will let you know how it works out.
svh
Silent But Deadly

Post by svh »

Any updates on Mid America's ammo ?
Cheech, my best friend of 16 years, RIP.
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
leam

Post by leam »

Sort of a report. Haven't had a chance to do accuracy tests yet. With weather and sickness it will be delayed even further. Here's what I have so far.

Process My circumstance may be rare; I don't use a credit card. To order I called, placed the order to get an invoice number, and then sent in a check and a scan of my driver's license for proof of age. Adding that to the Thanksgiving holiday says turn around time was a little while. That's normal with not using credit cards if you're not an established business or customer.

Phone staff needed help from Brian (?) to figure out how to do the invoice order.

A week later I called. The check had cleared but the invoice had not been marked as paid. The lady I talked to took care of that. However, it was the day before Thanksgiving and so the order didn't go out until Monday. IIRC the check cleared the day I called; I talked to my bank.

UPS Ground shipping; scanned in to UPS the afternoon of 27 Nov. UPS claimed operational issues and got the package to me 1 Dec. I live in coastal SC.

Issue: Ordered 250 rounds. Bag had 248. I used loading blocks to count. Talked to Mark at MidAm and he said to mentioned it the next time I ordered. Their machines count by weight, he said. Guess Mark never heard of machine calibration errors.

Product:
SKU: 300BLK150PP300BLK150PP-250
Detail: 300 AAC Blackout 150gr PP
Fluff: *High Quality - Consistent - Accurate*

Range day neither the scope nor the trigger monkey was dialed in. Did put five into the berm, via a crono.
Crono: Set at 10 paces in front of the muzzle.
Rifle: 16" bbl AR with a short gas tube.
Measured velocities: 1889, 1949, 1867, 1869, 1816

Given the scope and the trigger monkey issues I felt an accuracy report wouldn't be accurate. Haven't been able to find a good hundred yard range and the indoor places seem less enthused about shooting this.

Let me know if you have questions.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

In today's world of internet transactions and lack of human contact and service, sounds like the transaction and follow up went ok. Someone answered the phone and got things handled. That in itself is encouraging.

Shoot some rounds through paper and share what you get. I guarantee you that there are more 3" groups shot every day than 1".

Of course if your three shot group is one in the floor, one in the wall. one in the ceiling you might not want to tell anyone you left home that day
leam

Post by leam »

dellet wrote:Of course if your three shot group is one in the floor, one in the wall. one in the ceiling you might not want to tell anyone you left home that day
Okay, it wasn't THAT bad. I was tired, the group was about a foot and a half for five shots, and then I realized the scope lockdowns were really loose.

I felt pretty stupid and used the illness as an excuse. I was also alone at a remote range and someone else was in the woods doing two shot sequences. Chose to scoot.