Handi-rifle: Off-center firing pin

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Handi-rifle: Off-center firing pin

Post by 2manyToys »

I finally took out my new-to-me Handi-rifle out shooting and found that I had to cock and pull the trigger twice in order to get the round to fire. When looking at the primers, I found that the firing pin is striking the primers off-center, at the 12 o'clock position. Any ideas of what causes this and potential remedies?
https://imgur.com/a/mWChzhR
Last edited by 2manyToys on Sat May 21, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Handi-rifle: Off-center firing pin

Post by dellet »

Two strikes to set off the primer is not uncommon. Headspace needs to be on the tight side of things. Dry minimal resize of fired brass and factory seems to be a problem since it is always at minimum length and often less.

Spurs on the hammer to make cocking easier under a scope can slow the hammer down enough to cause problems.

None of that matters if the firing pin is off too far.

Might be worth pulling the fore end off and also making sure there is nothing preventing the action from fully closing. Something like a bent ejector or debris holding it out.

Dumb as it sounds, in a sturdy rest push down on the barrel to make sure there is no play.

I would use an empty case with a live primer and set it off while applying downward pressure to see if that move the impact point.

Worst case might be having the firing pin bushed to change the angle and point of impact.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

Good input, dellet. The gun is new and has maybe 100 rounds throughit. I do have a hammer spur that maybe I'll remove, though I think the key is getting the firing pin to hit in the center of the primer.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Something I always did was swap out main spring to a wolfe extra power and double check transfer bar timing.

But neither is a fix for off center FP Strikes. This is a function of a imperfectly fit barrel.

Does the sn hand marked on Bbl match the frames sn? This will tell you if it was factory fit or shade tree.. Largely moot now as factory is gone and few smiths Work on these guns. Know all parts are poorly surface hardened so once worn thru they are forever changing.

Still a TON of sage information over on Greybeards in a H&R/NEF, FAQ section.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Hammerhead

Post by Hammerhead »

Could it be a rimfire frame?
I have never seen one that far off.
I have never had to fire my Handi twice with any of my barrels. Don’t think that’s normal.