Mini 300blkout/Garand build

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Baltimoreed11754

Re: Mini 300blkout/Garand build

Post by Baltimoreed11754 »

Had a setback. It was running before I installed the ruger reinforcement and moved the bbl action back 1/4 inch. I had to install the steel because it was battering the oak inserts that I was using. Had to set the sction back to get the gas cylinder, handguard and stock to work right. But I’ve moved, twisted or created friction somewhere that wasn’t there before. Initially [after my latest mods] it wouldn’t cycle at all but now after a lot of playing with it I’ve got it to eject 100% and feed about 50%.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’
Baltimoreed11754

After a lot of work looking for anything that was rubbing, in a bind or not right I’ve gotten it to feed and eject 150 gr jacketed bullets. The case is just about full of CFEBLK and is certainly being compressed but I’m not getting high pressure signs. I would like it to also shoot 125/130gr bullets too so I’m looking at other powders. Been working on a couple of other builds [a 1903 Springfield Scout and an 1873/76 Centennial carbine] so I haven’t done anything with this build lately.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

If you’re having cycling issues do to low pressure or gas volume, CFE is hard to beat. It’s velocity challenged, but accurate when you get a full case. I would wonder about carbon and unburned powder possibly being an issue for cycling many rounds.

296/H110 are hard to beat for bullets in the <130 range, as long as it cycles.

You might try Accurate LT-30. It has gas qualities similar to CFE, but burns cleaner. You lose about 100 fps compared the 296, but again it can be extremely accurate.

I think sticking with known reliable sub powders may be your best bet to keep it running reliable. 1680, N120, Reloader 7. And just live with the velocity loss and make up for it with accuracy.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

dont forget shooters world socom and shooters world blackout (do-63.1 and do-63.2 respectively)

those are also both proven sub powders that produce a lot of gas, and are cleaner burning than 1680, especially with subs.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Baltimoreed11754

The CFEBLK seems to work with the 150s but I've had to experiment some to get reliable function with 125-130 gr. I tried some LilGun powder that I had and it’s working. Everything that I’m shooting with these powders eject fine but have issues with picking up the next rd. Remember, my gas port is 23 inches from the boltface. I probably wouldn’t be having these issues with a 20 inch bbl which would be my last resort. More reloading work is needed.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’
Baltimoreed11754

It’s been too many months since my last post. Sorry to be so long. Haven’t given up on it but have been working on other builds. CFEBLK eventually didn’t work out. I did however work up blkout loads using LilGun powder that worked with the weak recoil spring setup on the rifle. But in order to get more than 7 rds to strip from the magazine the op rod spring needed more power. Rather than cut the rifle bbl/ gas system down to increase the op rod pressure I’ve decided to have Accuracy Systems rechamber the bbl to 300HAMR which will give me a longer [.223 donor] case that will hold more powder and 125-150 gr bullets. And the 300HAMR brass should be less problematic to build as the case wall thickness should not be an issue any longer. I’ll know more in 6-8 weeks. See you in a month.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’
Baltimoreed11754

Got my rifle rechambered to 300Hamr and have it running finally. The extra room in the case made the difference. Also had to make the mag well smaller as the extra play in the magazine during recoil was causing the bolt to override the next round. Should have caught that oops sooner. Hoping to paint it this week. Still have to drill a hole in the safety and fab up a box ‘BAR’ magazine.
Added a faux fun switch on the right side at the heel. Waiting on a mini14 6.8 promag to come in. Should be able to make it work, we’ll see.

The seller was incorrect on the 6.8 mag being for a Mini14. Too wide. The package says Ranch Rifle so I’m assuming its for a wider mini30 sized action. Going to return it.

Seller didn’t want it back but did refund my money. Said it wasn’t worth the effort but is going to notify the supplier to change the incorrect verbiage in his ad. The mag fits fine in my mini30 but I don’t know if it will run with x39 ammo.
‘Give’em hell, Pike’