CVA pistols

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Longcarbine

Re: CVA pistols

Post by Longcarbine »

bangbangping wrote:
Longcarbine wrote:Look at the difference in where the scope mount sets on the .300BO (bottom photo) and the other two, this was the only position it would mount on my 300.
Hmmm....mine mounted the same as the others. Are your two empty holes in the front of the mount? If so, you should be able to take it off and rotate it 180 degrees.
No, only one empty hole in front of the mount and it is about 1 1/4" from the muzzle.
"The reason a dog has so many friends, He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I dont always listen to Black Sabbath but when I do, so do the neighbors."
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Longcarbine wrote:
bangbangping wrote:
Longcarbine wrote:Look at the difference in where the scope mount sets on the .300BO (bottom photo) and the other two, this was the only position it would mount on my 300.
Hmmm....mine mounted the same as the others. Are your two empty holes in the front of the mount? If so, you should be able to take it off and rotate it 180 degrees.
No, only one empty hole in front of the mount and it is about 1 1/4" from the muzzle.
Sorry...maybe I didn't word that properly. My mount has six holes and the barrel has four (ignoring the one near the muzzle). When mounted, the two unused mount holes are to the rear. It's tough to measure precisely with the scope on, but it looks like the four mount holes in use are symmetrical, which means you can put the mount closer to the breech (like I did) or rotate it 180 degrees and install closer to the muzzle (like you did).

I think.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bangbangping wrote:Image
Not as cool as the Franken-Handi, but should be fun.
I thought the Franken Handi had been forgotten Bang. It is a cool rifle, but your pistol is no slouch brother :mrgreen:
I bet these newer fellers are wondering "What the hell is a Franken Handi? :lol: "
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

rebel wrote:
bangbangping wrote:Image
Not as cool as the Franken-Handi, but should be fun.
I thought the Franken Handi had been forgotten Bang. It is a cool rifle, but your pistol is no slouch brother :mrgreen:
I bet these newer fellers are wondering "What the hell is a Franken Handi? :lol: "
I'll start interviewing for a new job Monday. The only requirement is a pond with muskrats. :mrgreen:
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I hear you brother! Little SOB is still my favorite.
Here is it's theme song - https://youtu.be/CD-E-LDc384
BABA YAGA!
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Finally got a chance to take it out. It works. :mrgreen:

Also got rid of that abomination they call a safety. Tapped the hole 6mm X 1.0 and put in a stainless set screw. Replaced the sling stud that was poking out the bottom with a QD socket up front.

Shot some Gold Dot loads that were worked up for the 16" M7. Only lose 120 fps (2050 vs 2170) but there may some room to go from there once I work something up, as these were not max. 3/4" five shot group at 100, as good as I'm doing on average with the M7. Not bad.

Then shot some cast subs, again loads developed for the M7. Five shots in just under 1.25" @ 100 yards, about as good as it gets for me.

I'm stoked. Looking forward to next deer season.

BTW, there are 10 of these pistols left on Gunbroker. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797427354
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

bangbangping wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:21 pm
BTW, there are 10 of these pistols left on Gunbroker. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797427354
Now there are 5 left. I wonder if there is a twelve step program for 300BLK.... :lol:
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

Bang, what do you think of the buffer tube adapter and brace setup? Does the 3D printed adapter seem robust? I see that the adapter is available with and without finger grooves - how does the grip feel without them. I was consider getting the one without grooves and slipping a Hogue handgun sleeve over it.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

2manyToys wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:06 am Bang, what do you think of the buffer tube adapter and brace setup? Does the 3D printed adapter seem robust? I see that the adapter is available with and without finger grooves - how does the grip feel without them. I was consider getting the one without grooves and slipping a Hogue handgun sleeve over it.
Love it. The adapter is plenty strong. I'm not a fan of finger grooves, so I got the one without. Feels fine, shape-wise. There are a few negatives, but nothing serious:

1. As I think I mentioned before, the part was obviously printed, with prominent swirls and grooves. Plus it was SHINY. And hard. Didn't feel great, texture-wise. A few minutes with sandpaper and some spray rubberized coating fixed it up fine. I didn't think about a Hogue sleeve. That MAY work, if it's very thin up front. The issue is that there is just about zero clearance between the trigger guard and grip when you open the action. You may have to take a small divot out of the sleeve.

2. The bolt that holds it on didn't quite match up to the receiver, so I had to expand the hole a bit. I believe the fault is more that the frame hole on the pistol was drilled off-center. Either way, no big deal. Two minutes with a round file....done.

3. Functionally, the fit is fine. Very snug, feels solid, no flex or wobbles. There are some gaps around the edges, though, especially at the rear of the frame. Not a big deal unless you want visual perfection. If you watch the video he mentions "fitment issues" and points to the gap at the back. Mine looks just about like that, although it's much better along the sides.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you'll lose your factory sling stud on the bottom of the pistol grip. If you want to use a sling, be sure to get a brace that has a connector.

With a 3X9 Leupold and a suppressor, it's 32 inches and ~7 pounds. Lighter and a whole foot shorter than the Model 7 I've been hunting with. It definitely will be my carrying around hunting gun next year.

Edit: Oh, one more thing. When you attach the buffer tube, be very careful not to cross-thread it. Mine felt like it was going on fine, but after about 5-10 threads I noticed it was crooked. If you're not paying attention and cross-thread it, it would probably be easy to mess up the threads at a minimum, or crack the plastic if you crank it down.
2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manyToys »

Bang, thanks for the feedback. I'm looking into having a grip made with vertical picattiny rail so that, with the Sig picattiny-to-folding buffer tube adapter, I can very easily switch between near original configuration, to pistol with brace configuration.

For those that just received their Scout V2's, were your barrels fluted? Mine was not fluted and may have been lightly used.