Need advice on 16” 300 BLK barrels

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jladd

Need advice on 16” 300 BLK barrels

Post by Jladd »

Hello fellow patriots. New to the forum and this is my first post. Please excuse the length. I am in the process of building a new 300 blk SBR that will be suppressed. Form 4 and form 1 paperwork was submitted a couple of weeks ago. Lower and upper are from Aero Precision. Since I have at least 6 to 8 months to wait, I’ve bought another upper from Aero, and plan to basically have 2 uppers (SBR and mid-length). My first thought was to purchase a .223 Wylde barrel but have been considering getting a 300 blk barrel in a 16” length. I would like to have a straight fluted barrel in a mid-length. The Aero upper came with a 12” handguard. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good 16” mid length barrel that has a straight flute?

And, would your suggestion be to go with the 300 blk or the .223 Wylde.

Thank you
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need advice on 16” 300 BLK barrels

Post by Freedom1973 »

I think we are going to need more information to help you out on this one.
What is your purpose for the intended rifle? Hunting? Competition?
Also what price range are you looking at? Are you going to be reloading for the rifle/rifles?
Extra info can help with offering guidance.
Jladd

Post by Jladd »

Primarily for hunting. I live in Arkansas. I’ve always hunted with a .270 (in Arkansas and Missouri) and its plenty of rifle for the deer in our state. But I”m wanting to switch to the AR platform for hunting and don’t believe that a 223 will be large enough to hunt deer ethically. I’ve started hunting with a buddy in Hannibal, MO, and the deer up there are much larger. I want to make sure that its a one shot one kill experience, so that was why I was considering a 16” 300 BLK instead of the 223 Wylde.

As for price range, I’d like to keep it under $250 if possible. As for reloading, its on the radar and I’m hoping that next year I can start gathering all of the items needed. After spending $400 for 2 NFA tax stamps, and what I’ve spent to build the SBR and an additional upper and forearm, the gun is going to eat up my budget for this year and I haven’t bought the optics for either version. Hope this you better understand what I’m looking for.

Thanks for the response.
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

I've used KAK and Ballistic Advantage barrels with good results. Either one would work great.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Based on your stated aims, 300 BLK seems more appropriate. Obviously there are more potent rounds available too, but you end up needing more changes to the gun for most of them.

6x45 could be another really good choice, but that is reloader only, and definately a wildcat. It's sweet, because you are getting 270 like attributes out of normal 556 brass with no extra work other than running it through a die.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

If you are serious about reloading, you can really get phenomial results with 300 Blackout. Most people actually use pistol powder instead of rifle powder. 110 to 150 grain bullets for supers and 220-260 gr for subs. There are 18" barrels available for supers. As short as 8 inch for SBRs with a stamp.

This is my favorite rifle.
Jladd

Post by Jladd »

Thanks for all of the advice. The 300 blk is a new “experiment” for me. There seems to be so much you can do with it IF you reload your own rounds and that’s what I’ll eventually do to get the best out of it. I appreciate all of the input and advice. At the end of the day, my hope is to have an SBR for fun and home defense and also a nice rifle for hunting and longer distance shooting. This is a great forum. It’s great to get advice from many years of experience on this board.