Ruger American Ranch 300BLK - Magazine options?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger American Ranch 300BLK - Magazine options?

Post by 2manyToys »

ironhead7544 wrote:I have the Lucky 13 magazine, 10 shot. Works perfectly and is very well made. Expensive, but a lot better than a rifle that does not feed.

I am very happy with it!
This is for the rotary magazine version of RARR, right?
ironhead7544

Post by ironhead7544 »

2manyToys wrote:
ironhead7544 wrote:I have the Lucky 13 magazine, 10 shot. Works perfectly and is very well made. Expensive, but a lot better than a rifle that does not feed.

I am very happy with it!
Yes. Sorry I did not get back to this sooner.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

2manyToys wrote:

I am very happy with it!
I’ve been in contact directly with the Lucky 13 manufacturers and although their 10 round .223 magazine is a replacement for the RARR rotary item, they do not fully advise it for 300BLK due to feeding issues experienced when slow cycling during testing. Here’s what they had to say:

“Our Unimag line of magazines are designed to be a straight swap replacement for the Ruger American and Ranch rifle rotary magazines. Unfortunately however, at present we do not have a model specifically designed and suited to the 300BLK cartridge.

Quite a few people have contacted us and are using our 223Rem specific Unimags in their 300BLK rifles. This is not something that we can recommend directly however; the issue arises when using some of the shorter COL length factory ammunitions the shoulder length of the 300BLK cartridge can cause early release of the round from the magazine feed lips and cause a mis-feed when cycling the action slowly. We have not yet had a direct complaint of this issue from anyone using our magazines with 300BLK, but it is an issue we have found in our own testing and we see this as a potential to be able to cause this failure in real world use.

We are working on a 300BLK specific Unimag Mod II for the Ruger line, however with our existing development and production backlog we do not expect these to be able to be released in the first half of 2019.”
Carpe Noctem
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

Where can you buy these in the U.S.? I didn't see any distributer for here.
NRA Life member
jrf

Post by jrf »

GregP42 wrote:Where can you buy these in the U.S.? I didn't see any distributer for here.
Try: www.blackarsenal.com

However you will have to call them...ask for Chad.
Barryfer

Ruger American Ranch 300BLK Magazine options

Post by Barryfer »

Anyone reloading and shooting an American ranch rifle .. if so do you have any info to share ??? ie powder, bullets etc.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

The really fun thing about this BLK in a bolt gun is the wide spread of bullet weights, powders and loads that an AR platform just cannot do readily. As for loads, the data base here is chock full of good info. My favorite is the 125 gr TNT over some H110 or 300-MP. I was about to order from the Lucky Thirteen guys last year, then the site went off line. They sure do look like the ticket for the Ruger. I have slightly modified some of my mags in the front feed ramp. I shoot mostly heavy subs in my RARR, but also a fair amount of supers.

TR
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

So does anybody know what the difference is between the ranch rifle that accepts pmags and the one that uses a rotary mag? All I have heard is that the bolt is different but I can’t find pictures at all. I’m willing to modify my receiver if it will take the stock that accepts the pmags.
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

bdill wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:51 pm So does anybody know what the difference is between the ranch rifle that accepts pmags and the one that uses a rotary mag? All I have heard is that the bolt is different but I can’t find pictures at all. I’m willing to modify my receiver if it will take the stock that accepts the pmags.
I had the rotary mag version, and I now have the AR mag version. On the rotary the bolt is round, on the AR mag version they have milled off parts of the bolt, I tired the swapping stocks to see if it would work and it wouldn't with the round bolt. So I sold my rotary version and kept the AR mag version.

Greg
NRA Life member
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

GregP42 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:12 pm
bdill wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:51 pm So does anybody know what the difference is between the ranch rifle that accepts pmags and the one that uses a rotary mag? All I have heard is that the bolt is different but I can’t find pictures at all. I’m willing to modify my receiver if it will take the stock that accepts the pmags.
I had the rotary mag version, and I now have the AR mag version. On the rotary the bolt is round, on the AR mag version they have milled off parts of the bolt, I tired the swapping stocks to see if it would work and it wouldn't with the round bolt. So I sold my rotary version and kept the AR mag version.

Greg
I wonder it will work with mine then bc I made relief cuts in the bolt to aid in feeding.