New Tikka Lefty T3 Blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Chopperguy

New Tikka Lefty T3 Blackout

Post by Chopperguy »

I've had several rifles I've carried around while walking the property or using my Kubota RTV for chores. We have a lot of varmints like coyotes, raccoons, skunks and even wolves that run the place, prey on the game animals and have pursued hunting dogs from time to time on the shooting preserve/game farm.

This rifle started life as a lefty Tikka T3 Stainless Lightweight in .223.

I took the rifle to gunsmith Jim Kobe for some work and conversion to 300 Blackout. On my home from OK & IA deer hunting I got word this little project was ready to be picked up.

Jim rebarreled this rifle in 300 Blackout, added the oversized bolt, metal bolt shroud, threaded the barrel for when I get to move out of this commie State and own a suppressor, bedded the action, tweeked the trigger and finished it at 16.5".

I got it it home and mounted a Leupold Gilmore red dot optic to it and loaded up some mags.

I could only shoot it at 85 yards on my rimfire & handgun range and just used shooting sticks standing.

It only took 6 shots to get a perfect zero as the windage was spot on already.

Ammo used was all factory. Remington 115 grain loads and the Barnes 115 Tipped hunting loads.

This little rifle will be coming with me on all my walks and travels in the Kubota RTV around the property from now on.

Come on varmints! I'll post the first blood when it happens.

A couple 5 shot groups off the sticks in a strong & gusty winds.

10 rounds fired as fast as possible from the sticks again at 85 yards including the reload. The top 3 hits were from my 22 LR shooting earlier before the Black came out to play!)

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947
munchie3409
Senior Silent Operator

Re: New Tikka Lefty T3 Blackout

Post by munchie3409 »

Very nice...Tikka actions are the very best factory actions on the market.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

How much was the cost minus the original rifle? I really want a bolt action.
Bollinger Arms
FFL/SOT
Saint Louis , MO
[email protected]
Bjbfirearms.com
chase102798
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase102798 »

A leupold Gilmore. Awesome. Been a long time since I have seen one of those. That was my very first red dot quite some years ago. Shot my first "handgun" buck with one mounted on a .357 mag.

Awesome rifle. It looks nice and light with the optics choice. I really like the oversized bolt knob.
Chopperguy

Post by Chopperguy »

Sorry the pics got all turned around. Don't know how my photo host did that. but it was the first time I used imported iPhone photos.....

I got the rifle used for a great price on GunBroker and there's just a bit over $500 in the rebarrel, work and accessories I picked up for the rifle.

Not the cheapest way to go, but I'm in love with the end product.

The Gilmore is something I had sitting in my collection of older optics. When I got the rifle home, I put them together and really liked the way they looked.

Then I took it out and shot the combination and WOW, was I impressed. For it's intended purpose, I really don't think I need to invest in an Aimpoint Micro or other more expensive dot sight. Not like this is a tactical rifle or anything. I'd like to find some covers for the Gilmore, but it does clean up easily and probably won't be something I make much effort to put together.

Think I'll just shot and enjoy carrying this rifle with me walking the dogs and while working around here.
If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Very nice unique build. I'd very much like to customize a Tikka T3. The prices on them have come down considerably in recent years making them a very attractive alternative to run of the mill 700's or Savage's.
Chopperguy

Post by Chopperguy »

If you are patient and keep looking, the Tikka T3s are out there for a good deal.

The 223 I got probably wasn't even fire much if at all. I actually had a hard time having it changed over because it was in such great condition.

I really wish we could have suppressors here as this thing is just calling out for it to be so equipped.

I know the 300 BO shines in the sub realm, but I have more interest in supers with the suppressor just to avoid the bang when hunting, etc.

I have another lefty Tikka in 308 Win all set up and ready to go just like this one with an 18" barrel and same appointments.

I even painted the stock, cera coated the barrel, action and bolt.

B!ngoFuelUSN

Post by B!ngoFuelUSN »

I know I am reviving an old thread (and I've not posted on this site despite reading if for some time) but do you think that the gunsmith that created the LH Tikka 300BLK would be willing to build another? I'm a Tikka fan (own two LH models) and would really like one in 300 BLK.
thx,
B
ltblazer2001

Post by ltblazer2001 »

Gents, Florida boy here where suppressors are readily available. I’m looking to do a LH tikka t3x conversion to 300 blk. I’m thinking of doing the threaded barrel down to the shortest length that the stock will allow. Thoughts?