Bolt Action SBR Project

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bolt Action SBR Project

Post by Suputin221 »

Hmmmm, they list the cartridge as 7.62x35 but it isn't 300 BLK. It looks like 7.62x54R cut down.

http://arms.am/index.php/our-production ... -cartridge

jreinke
Silent Operator

Post by jreinke »

Here's another option for a stock: http://mdttac.com/mdt-lss-chassis-for-savage.html
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

Hmmmmmmm.......? Looks to be a true --> "rimmed". --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

Suputin221 wrote:Hmmmm, they list the cartridge as 7.62x35 but it isn't 300 BLK. It looks like 7.62x54R cut down.

It could be a rimmed version of the Whisper or Blackout.
Many Contender and Encore 300 Whisper shooters had a rim recess cut in the chamber of their barrels.
All they had to do was run a .357 MAX case into a Whisper or 300/221 die and trim the case to length.
This resulted in a rimmed version of the Whisper that was a little easier to pull out of the chamber.
After the conversion they could shoot either the rimmed or rimless version.
Also, if you didn't mind a short neck, you could form them out of .357 Magnum brass.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

SuperChuck wrote:OK already run into a dis-similarity trying to use AR style form 1 with this build....

Savage receiver only has Serial number marked on the frame. NO model number, NO Caliber..

Should I have these added to the receiver when I engrave my trust information?

I realize the barrel may be marked, with caliber, but it will not be marked for Model.

At this point, should/could I could call it

SuperChuck TRust
MyHomeTown, SC

SBR-1
300 Blk

SC
It's a Model 10 action, right? That's what needs to go on the form, and on the receiver if you go that route. I wouldn't confuse things by trying to invent a model number.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

80hp wrote:
Suputin221 wrote:Hmmmm, they list the cartridge as 7.62x35 but it isn't 300 BLK. It looks like 7.62x54R cut down.

It could be a rimmed version of the Whisper or Blackout.
Many Contender and Encore 300 Whisper shooters had a rim recess cut in the chamber of their barrels.
All they had to do was run a .357 MAX case into a Whisper or 300/221 die and trim the case to length.
This resulted in a rimmed version of the Whisper that was a little easier to pull out of the chamber.
After the conversion they could shoot either the rimmed or rimless version.
Also, if you didn't mind a short neck, you could form them out of .357 Magnum brass.
M.
I'm really not sure how you can look at that pic and see 300 BLK. The BLK has a very small shoulder where the round above has a prominent shoulder.

faizanmazhar00

Post by faizanmazhar00 »

SuperChuck wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:03 pm I'm about to Form 1 a Savage Bolt Action to start a compact bolt action build.

My criteria is below:

1. Planned to fire both sub-sonic and super-sonic rounds.
2. Planned to run suppressed and unsuppressed.
3. Want max barrel length with suppressor to remain 20" or less currently.
4. Right now its a blind mag, staggered feed 5 capacity I prefer to maintain the repeater action, but may be satisfied with a single-shot follower in a pinch.

Where I am at so far:

1. I own multiple SS and Blued Savage 10 actions, right now I'm expecting to use an SS action thats been timed and trued, with SSS trigger installed.
2. Action is currently set up for .473 bolt head (.308 cartridge family) needs to be converted to .378 cartridge head.
3. I have 2 of the Gunshack 16.5" SS 1:8" twist, Varmint contour 300 Blackout barrels ordered
4. I've started a Form 4 on a Liberty Mystic that should mail out early this week
5. I have the various tools for barrel installation, as well as the Go/o Go headspace gauges.

Next steps:

1. Once I commit to a specific action out of the safe, I'll begin the form 1 paperwork and send the action out for engraving (I'll need to establish a final barrel length)
2. Once the Form 1 is approved, I'll have one barrel cut down. Until then I'll play with it at the full 16.5" length
3. The action needs to be converted to .378 - I already have all the parts to do it.
4. During the bolt head changeout, I will probably need to upgrade the plunger/ejector system to kick out the short cartridges properly
5. Performing those changes, once the bolt's been converted, I can use it as a full length until I get my Stamp.

So, from anyones past experiences, any additional details I need to make sure to cover at this point?

Anyone used a bolt action barrel in the 10-12" range? Any recommendations/observations?

Anyone thats already been down this road already and have any pointers, I'll be glad to hear from you.

Regards,

SC
Hmmmm, they list the cartridge as 7.62x35 but it isn't 300 BLK. It looks like 7.62x54R cut down.