Ruger American Blackout Magazine

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

moto vita

Ruger American Blackout Magazine

Post by moto vita »

Looked at a Ruger today. I like everything about it except the magazine (10 round P mag). I looked online for a substantially smaller magazine without success. I then rummaged through my basement and came up with an 8 round Colt magazine with a removeable plastic extension that I could remove. The Colt mag is substantially shorter although still not as short as I'd like, and it has sharp bottom edges that are exposed when the extension is removed so I'd have to do something about that. What i want is a plastic mag like the P Mag but half the length, or less.
I'm a non existent magazine away from buying a new rifle. I'm thinking about cutting down a steel magazine, I'm assuming thatwould be easier to work with than an aluminum one. Anybody have any suggestions?
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger American Blackout Magazine

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I thought the 5 round magazines for the Ruger American were fairly common. No? Is the one below what you need?

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/ruger-ameri ... azine.html
moto vita

Post by moto vita »

That's the old style Ruger magazine. They switched some time ago to AR15 magazines. So what I want is an AR15 magazine shorter than an AR15 mag well.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I see. So are they the same dimensions as AR15 magazines and interchangeable with AR15 magazines?
moto vita

Post by moto vita »

Yes, it will take any AR mag.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

For reference, my 10 round steel H&K magazines are 3 1/4” long on the long side.

There are a few “flush mount” magazines made that would be about 1/2 shorter.

Colt and Brwonells also made a 5 round magazine similar to your 8 round, but seem to be out of production. These had the same short magazine with a plastic extension. I think the magazine portion was shorter than the 8/10 rounders.

Magneto speed made a 3 round magazine for awhile that would fit in the grip of an AR that also seems to have gone away. Might be able to scare up a couple of those.

Next best might be a saw blade.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I use 5 round aluminum AR15 magazines from ASC. They only held 4 until I cut the spring but they work fine for 5 now. I use them for Load development which is more handy than a big old 30 round magazine in a Caldwell rest. This is the link:

https://www.ammosc.com/5-rd-223-5-56-aluminum-magazine
moto vita

Post by moto vita »

dellet wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:36 pm For reference, my 10 round steel H&K magazines are 3 1/4” long on the long side.

There are a few “flush mount” magazines made that would be about 1/2 shorter.

Colt and Brwonells also made a 5 round magazine similar to your 8 round, but seem to be out of production. These had the same short magazine with a plastic extension. I think the magazine portion was shorter than the 8/10 rounders.

Magneto speed made a 3 round magazine for awhile that would fit in the grip of an AR that also seems to have gone away. Might be able to scare up a couple of those.

Next best might be a saw blade.
I have an e mail into Magneto Speed.
Plastic would be nice if it still has to stick out. I've disassembled and evaluated P Mag and Lancer, I think I'll go to the box store and look at all their different plastic mags.
I thought I had some steel mags but the magnet says otherwise, some look like they could be painted stainless.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

The only 5 round AR mags I ever found were made by CProducts, no idea if they are still around. The Magpul Pmag 10 is the same length as the 5 round Cproducts, have not looked for any in recent times. They are made to this length to be long enough to be able to load and remove easily from the AR15 magwell, they are half again as long as a regular RARR plastic rotary style.
30plinker

Post by 30plinker »

Coming in way late, but a similar question on ar15.com has one reply where a poster simply cut down a 10 round pmag, has some pretty good pics. Came out nearly flush.

I just got my RA 300bo and am planning on doing similar.