Boyd’s stocks

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: Boyd’s stocks

Post by cwlongshot »

My stock came in

Its nice but right now I only like it not love it.

I had to do as always and clean up allot inside the bedding area. Mostly scraping as you cannot really sand. But sanding where I could. Typical for Boyds the entire stock is blocky. Hand grip mis shapen for me. My knuckle hits hard inside top and its a odd shape. Along the right side behind and above the trigger is so full your index finger has to make a hard bend thats not super Comfortable. I took much wood off/out of here on my last Boyds. Gonna do that here too. Made a huge difference.

Behind the magazine is two very sharp corners. This gotta go quickly!! Very odd and uncomfortable.
I think I got a bad butt plate job. Its not shaped to the curvature of the stock on one side and the top is hanging over a full 1/8". Lil Nit picky for a 150$ maybe. But fixable. I learned the last time that I needed to re seal the inletting anyhow. Its amazing the different feel just taking 100g paper and breaking all the sharp corners! The pad will grind flush pretty easy. LOP is very nice! My RARR was the super short variety. Awesome for heavy winter deer stand. Kinda short for summer plinking. This is right between and how the SC comes. No extra costs for custom cut length.

I was gonna pillar bed this but thinking no now. Also glad I didnt pay 60$ to have them do. Its silly easy!! With these bedding blocks the front has maybe 1/8" of wood and the rear 1/4-3/8" max. Rear doable but front not easily. Factory shot lights out as is. These bedding blocks fit action very nice and snug. Blocks fit stock well. Barrel channel while yes free float is snug er than I like. So Ill open that too. Lastly one bug reason I choose this was OAL forend length. This is a 16" bbl but stock still seems long. In gonna chop 1" off and look again. Dont think I can go much more tho as there is a rectangular relief for the front stud. It would look odd if I bisected that. ;)

The fore stock is also quite "full". I dont think ill change that, but could and probably would help overall looks. I know its cheaper to do less for them. So this likely keeps costs down by making it faster to produce. But looks odd to me.

Gotta figure pics later. I have photo bucket but they suk... most forums Im on now host there own pics.

I bought steel trigger guard and magazine tab. Mostly for bedding. You cannot exert as many inch pounds to the junky plastic they provide. Metal is a very good option.

So, right now. I like not love it! ;)

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

CW,

Sounds like you have a ‘Work In Progress”. That should keep you out of trouble for a while.

I agree about photobucket, I lost a boat load of pictures from past posts on several forums. I like the forums that host the pictures themselves.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Damn the both of you. I just ordered one also. :P
Nyhkolasfrost13

Post by Nyhkolasfrost13 »

CW,

As far as pics go I've used Imgur for a while now since I've been on Reddit a while. And I always set my stuff to private so that I don't have to deal with the people on Imgur, cause some of them don't really like guns. I can also access them from my phone or a computer just by going to their site and getting the link.

On the note of the stock, my mother has a nice chisel set that I used as well as some files to remove the material I needed. Working inside the stock is not and paper friendly. The only thing I used sand paper on was the top of the comb in order to lower it enough for the bolt to come all the way back. A broken thin belt sander belt and a high grit sandpaper sponge (yeah we'll go with that.) Got it knocked down and nice and smooth.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I got the stock all fit and bedded the blocks into it.

Then sanded everything. Rounded all sharp corners and relieved a few areas. This made a world of difference!! Especially the thickness of the stock above the trigger. Made my hand and finger do a awkward and uncomfortable angle. Now it feels more natural. I also did round the forend allot. Feels better to me. I was not able to shorten as they cut a slot inside channel for lightening and if I chopped down it would leave a unsightly hole under the barrel.

I have is sanded three times now with steel wool. Its almost ready for refinishing. Last thing is to open barrel channel a lil on left side.

Still dont know about pics. Find ingur confusing.

May be I just do a quick video and upload to my uTube account and post that link.

CW

BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

CW, I gave up on imgur also. I guess we need a whiz kid like plant.one for tech support. Or, be able to host pictures right on the forum.

I should get my stock in a week or so. I hope it feels right to start. If not, out comes the sand paper.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

1. Go to imgur.com
2. Click the green "New Post" button in the top left of the page.
3. Click "Choose Photo/Video" (see image below) to select the image from your computer.
4. Once you select an image from your computer, you'll be presented a page that displays the image. Right-click on the image and select "Copy image address" (Chrome) or "Copy image location" (Firefox)
5. In your 300BlkTalk post, click the image button above the post window. Paste your image url between the IMG tags.
6. If you're not sure what it's supposed to look like, quote this post and look for [img
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Thanks BBP,

I have to admit, I never got far enough to make an account! Might have to revisit it, though.
Nyhkolasfrost13

Post by Nyhkolasfrost13 »

Range Update....

Did not go well to sum it up quickly.

I know after I put this together that I cycled the action with a mag and rounds in it but I when I got to the range today I could not cycle the bolt on any round on the right side of the mag. I would have to take the mag out, Eject the spent casing (with no issue), reinsert the mag, and then run the bolt home to load the next round. I can then shoot cycle and fire as normal then repeat the above steps. Here are some pics of what the bolt is doing to the round if I force the bolt backwards.

https://imgur.com/a/OE5ltF4

This was never an issue with the standard stock and it does this on all my mags, both new and previously used.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Stock was completed this AM.
Its really nice and I'm very pleased how it came out.

The TRU-oil makes it a deeper richer color that I really like. The barrel channel is now floated 1/16" all sides all the way to the barrel nut.

Re shaping of the thumb hole, grip, trigger area, fore end rounding and lastly tip re shaping all made this stock super well fit to me.

Pics soon! I got Photo bucket almost working....;)

CW