Frustrated with my CZ 527!!!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

brentwinkey

Frustrated with my CZ 527!!!

Post by brentwinkey »

Ok guys I sold my RARR in 300blk cause I was fed up with crappy mags so now I recently purchased a cz527 in 300blk cause I've always been a fan of CZ products. I finally had a chance to sit down and sight in/plink with it and I'm pretty damn frustrated with the feeding on this rifle too now. It wants to push the magazine follower in the chamber along with the next round. Seem to do it with one or two rds in the mag but definitely worse with only one in the mag. Ammo used is factory nolser 220 subs. Mag is marked 300aac so I'm guessing it's the updated/correct mag for 300blk. Any insight from current owners would be great. I guess CZ will be getting a call in the am.
Pic of issue below
https://imgur.com/a/CkTtA
brentwinkey

Re: Frustrated with my CZ 527!!!

Post by brentwinkey »

Pic of issues I'm experiencing below
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

I have the same complaint, but mine seems to work adequately with longer bullets such as the Hornady 208 gr., and even with 125 gr spitzers. It absolutely will not feed any flat point or hollow point that weigh 110 gr or less. I've tried the Hornady 90 gr XTP's, the Speer 110 gr FPHP, and the Speer 100 gr plinkers. The latter are on again off again in feeding. I was surprised to find that the Hornady 100 gr SJ's feed fine, as do the 110 gr RNSP's made for the .30 Carbine. Mind, these lighter weight bullets are seated out quite a bit, with only .25" of the bullet base in the case mouth, and I'm using a light taper crimp on them.

In addition, the bolt on mine binds with the application of any but straight forward thrust, with any asymmetric pressure causing a bind. This makes rapid fire capability fair to poor. I have worked the bolt over 200 times with lubrication on all contact points, and have taken crocus cloth to the feed ramp and to the magazine lips, and it has improved a great deal over what it was out of the box, but still isn't optimum. It surprises me because I have one of these in 7.62x39 that runs and feeds like a dream. Maybe QA at CZ has gone downhill since I purchased the other one, I don't know.

I will say that the trigger pull on both the regular and the single set is excellent for a factory rifle. I measured the pull best of 10 with a Lyman gauge and the regular trigger was 2# 10 oz IIRC, and the SS was 1# and change. I don't have my notes handy as they're out in the shop, but it was very close to a pound and a half.

Accuracy is also very good, shooting close to or under MOA with most supers and subs with decent bullets. The 100 gr plinkers and semi jackets were a bit over 2 MOA at 100 yards subsonic with a ton of drop, close to 7 1/2", and the 110 gr RNSP's were right at MOA with the same drop. The 208 gr Hornady's were also very accurate, under MOA. I have only tried the 125gr Hornady V Max and the Nosler 125 gr Accubond in supers, and they are both just a hair over MOA. I have not really worked at finding the sweet spot with any of these loads, though I will say that where I live which is around 900' MSL, anything using Trail Boss powder over 4.8 grains with the lighter bullets goes supersonic on cold days. I've settled on 4.5 gr. for them, and A1680 for the heavier subs. I'm using H110 for the supers.

If the bolt binding issue doesn't resolve itself soon, I will likely be getting a Remington Model 7. It will probably feed better as well.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

brentwinkey wrote:Pic of issues I'm experiencing below
That doesn't look good.
brentwinkey

Post by brentwinkey »

Mike7.62 wrote:
brentwinkey wrote:Pic of issues I'm experiencing below
That doesn't look good.
Yeah it's not good and very frustrating to say the least. Have you tried adjusting anything on your mag Mike7.62?
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

Yes I did. I disassembled it and bent the spring to put more tension on the front of the follower to try and keep the cartridges from nose diving. It helped a little, but it looks as if yours has the opposite problem, too much tension forward. May want to try and bend the spring to lessen tension forward.
brentwinkey

Post by brentwinkey »

Mike7.62 wrote:Yes I did. I disassembled it and bent the spring to put more tension on the front of the follower to try and keep the cartridges from nose diving. It helped a little, but it looks as if yours has the opposite problem, too much tension forward. May want to try and bend the spring to lessen tension forward.
I gotcha. Yeah I'm gonna see what CZ customer service says tomorrow and maybe I'll try doing some tweaking on the mag. My mag seems to be bowed out in the middle and it seem to me that the rds not being held down in the mag either.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Guys, this little cartridge does not play well with bolt actions. After working my bolt a little while, I am able to fire 90 gr. XTP loads fairly fast with no binding, I just work the bolt fast and aggressively. Is it a 03A3 Springfield smooth? No. It does work if you play with a bit and break it in. Just my experiences owning the RARR and the CZ. The sheer accuracy of the CZ alone makes me forgive it for most issues.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

I have a grunch of military Mausers, Springfields, and an Enfield P-17 or two, and I have never experienced the binding of the bolt present in this CZ. Some of the Mausers are well used, but the Swede and the Chilean are not, they are mint, and they don't bind at all. Neither does my CZ 527 in 7.62x39. IMO it's CZ not putting the proper fit and finish into a "tactical" style of rifle, or their QA has taken a serious turn for the worst. Either way, this particular CZ in my possession is sub standard, even if it is accurate.
farright

Post by farright »

I need to check and see if mine will feed from the magazine, so far i have shot it single shot at the range. I have just gotten in the habit of single loading at the range. it seem seems simpler
than taking the mag. out and putting it back in. that said i want to be able to use the mag. if i want to. I have posted on my CZ several times so wont go into the trouble i am having, but i would love to hear how well your rifle is shooting. i am one of those guys who tells the truth about the groups i shoot if it is bad i admit it if it is good well i brag like a banshee. if you dont mind let me know how your rifles shoot and the range, load and how many shot group. a friend bouht a 6.5 grendal and is having problems getting his to shoot well too. I just love the looks of this little mauser action.