So looking for advice for barrel length. 300 blk

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Tayous1

So looking for advice for barrel length. 300 blk

Post by Tayous1 »

I was thinking of converting my AR 300 blk pistol to something longer than the 10.5-inch barrel that is on it.

I'm wanting to use this as my Truck gun or my SHTF to get me a home rifle. Is the barrel long enough for the 10.5-inch barrel or should I go longer? 16" is great but I also want to keep this compact taken apart or best can be kept whole but in a day pack. Its role at that point is defensive.

Edited: Mistake. I was looking at a pistol caliber but I like the power of a rifle caliber. My main course is to make the 17 miles home without any confrontation. Live in a rural Southwest Texas the type that is next town 25 miles away type. It's all open and open we have Wind turbines around us and cotton fields. I'm not too worried about the farmers on the dirt back roads at the start.

Thanks!
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: So looking for advice for barrel length. 300 blk

Post by BJK »

What can the 300BLK out of a 10" barrel do? 100 yards would be easy, with practice 200 yards should be doable even if it isn't optimum.

You might get another few hundred FPS out of another 6" of barrel. Is that enough to justify the longer gun? That's something you need to answer. Personally if I was going to have a 16" barrel I'd want it chambered in a cartridge that has powder enough to make it worthwhile and that's not 300BLK. The 300BLK was designed to burn it's powder in 9ish inches of barrel and designed for CQB. It's my opinion that 10" is about optimum. But regarding a longer barrel, I like to stay with relatively inexpensive mil' cartridges and that means 5.56 or 7.62 for open areas. Wind turbines mean wind and of those 2 cartridges I think the 7.62 would be best in wind. Ruger makes a lightweight 7.62 in an AR size rifle but the name escapes me at the moment. In 7.62/.308 Win black semi-autos nothing is standardized so spare parts would be proprietary if that means anything to you. To me it means spare parts come from Ruger and it would be the rare part from someone else that will fit. But again, that's pretty much the way most AR-10 and other format 7.62 semi-auto rifles are. And with that I've exhausted what I know of it.

You might also look into 300 Ham'r (I think that's the spelling) if you want to rebarrel it for a more effective cartridge. There are folks on this forum who know about 300 Ham'r. That's not me, I just know that it exists.

But as you indicated the first priority is to disengage and get outta Dodge and that means defense. The only way I'd stop to engage is if my ride or myself was disabled. I'd put 1/4-3/8" of steel behind the cab and behind and hanging below the bed and to somewhat protect the tires and then get on the throttle. Mild steel will do but armor plate is better and is also much more expensive. Of course that needs to be thought of ahead of time and the pieces made light enough so that they can be assembled by hand. It shouldn't be hard to design and fabricate.