New 16” spikes tactical 300blk carbine barrel

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Thetodor

New 16” spikes tactical 300blk carbine barrel

Post by Thetodor »

Just set up a new barrel with a carbine gas system on my old AR lower setup and it’s short stroking with 125gr Winchester open tip range
Barrel:
Spikes tactical 16” CHF MP 1/7 carbine CMV chrome lined

First of all, my gas block is perfectly aligned. I ended up moving the gas block and slow motion recording between tests and found it was placed slightly less than optimal but at the end of the day, the bolt only traveled nearly half way. The bolt slides smooth, no catching or tension other than when locking. I’m using a carbine buffer and spring. Full auto bolt carrier. 220gr subsonics move the bolt about 1/8 or 1/4 of the way

So… I measured the gas port and found it to be 0.0625 or exactly 1/16”. What’s going on? Did someone drop the ball ad just drill the wrong size completely? Even tho photo on the website (wingtactical.com) shows a barrel with a hole that looks larger than the one I’ve got.
Thoughts?

I ended up drilling the barrel to 3/32” or .093 and will take it out to the range when I can. I also ordered an slr sentry 7 adjustable gas block.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: New 16” spikes tactical 300blk carbine barrel

Post by dellet »

Original port was definitely too small for subs, and most supers. Some one in quality control needs a kick in the nuts.

.093" will likely be tempermental. It will depend on the load. If you're shooting suppressed, it will probably shoot 90% of what's out there. Handloads should be no problem 175 grains and above, suppressed or not.

You won't know until you try. I am a proponent of the smallest port possible and it's easier to make one bigger than smaller. I shot an 18" barrel with a .088" port for a long time.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Thetodor

Post by Thetodor »

Thanks for the reply! The manufacturer also confirmed that it should be drilled out to customer specs prior to shipment! 😣(.088 for suppressed and .093 for unsuppressed) The whole is intentionally left small and is just marking where to drill. They offered to drill it for me or I could do it myself without voiding any warranty.
Did not know a manufacturer would leave them incomplete to be set up by a gunsmith. Learned a lot in the process however
Thanks again!
👍
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It’s nice that Spikes does that. Way too many manufacturers just bore it out to .120+ so no one complains it won’t cycle.

Don’t be surprised if you have problems with subs, un suppressed if you test it right away. Give it a couple hundred rounds to break in before you decide to enlarge the port or not.

Sounds like you have done your homework, most don’t and that’s why so many have problems.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.