Aero .300BLK upper won’t load first round

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plemcam

Aero .300BLK upper won’t load first round

Post by plemcam »

Hi all,

New to the forum, apologies if I've messed up the formatting somehow! I’ve seen some other posts that are kind of like this one, but aren’t experiencing quite the same thing I’m seeing. Was wondering if anyone might know a solution!

This has started happening out of nowhere. Prior to last weekend, I had ZERO issues with my 8.5” Aero 300BLK upper, apart from it roughly chambering rounds. Apart from that, it was operating flawlessly. But, I took it out to the range, and it started failing to feed on every single shot, from any magazine. I’ve tried every magazine I own (all are 556 Magpul mags), and not a single one will work (when they worked just fine 2 weeks ago). It happens when I hit the bolt release, and when I manually rack it as well.

It seems to only be able to pick up the first round if the mag is half-ish full. I’ve attached some pictures of the issues.

It’s definitely the upper somehow. I’ve tried different BCGs, and buffer springs. Same issue. I’ve also tried cleaning and lubing the crap out of it…no luck.

I’m totally stumped on this, and any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Aero .300BLK upper won’t load first round

Post by plant.one »

are you using the same ammo? or did you switch ammo too?

can you give us details on the specific ammo?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
plemcam

Post by plemcam »

I also switched ammo. I started having the problem with Wolf steel ammo, which carried over to my brass ammo (can’t remember the manufacturer for the life of me. It was a blue box of 100, I remember that).

After meeting with my local gunsmith, we tried a surefeed metal mag, and it seems to have corrected the problem. It’s bizarre that it started happening out of nowhere, though.
Eroc223

Post by Eroc223 »

Check your gas block im betting its loose!
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

Take a pic of the feed ramp, from this angle it seems pretty steep and not clocked right.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~