Over gassed?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300blk_kid

Over gassed?

Post by 300blk_kid »

std ammo only with a GM27 16" car barrel that has 120 gas port. FA bcg with H1 buffer & car spring.
It's kicking rather hard. Initially had a misaligned gas block and it fail to cycle every few rounds, but with this misalign the kick felt like an ez tap on my shoulder. Fixed the alignment issue and now I feel like I am being punched in the shoulder. Seems like overgas issue?

I don't see bcg or gas key hitting the lower anywhere.

Should I install an adj gas block, or swap out the gas tube for one of these http://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-EZ ... p103167251
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Over gassed?

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

For that price, I would buy an adjustable gas block. Dial in the exact amount of gas you want. There is no telling that the hole in that gas tube is going to be the right size for your setup.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It’s cheaper than a new barrel, but not as veritable as an adjustable block. If you know the exact size of port you want, it’s probably a good choice, provided you also know exactly what ammo you will be shooting.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
300blk_kid

Post by 300blk_kid »

dellet wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:10 am It’s cheaper than a new barrel, but not as veritable as an adjustable block. If you know the exact size of port you want, it’s probably a good choice, provided you also know exactly what ammo you will be shooting.
I know I won't be shooting subs down this barrel.
I would have no idea what port size tube it would be, their online order page lets you pick some metrics and then they choose the "best" size.

I don't mind installing an adj block, it would be more of a set-it-&-forget-it thing, probably tune it to a light supe round.

I don't need a $100 block for this basic rifle, so what's the running suggestion these days for a low profile clamp-on adj 750 block? A see there's a few skeleton types, weight saving is good in my book.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It would be interesting to see what they choose, before buying. I don’t know if that is an option.

I kind of like the port tuning insert. I would get that around .065” and drill it out to suit. I generally specify port size when I order a barrel.

As for adjustable blocks, I use the SLR. Everyone will have an opinion, but they have served me well.
300blk_kid

Post by 300blk_kid »

Going with Odin Works tunable block.
300blk_kid

Post by 300blk_kid »

Odin Works tunable gas block (low profile SS). That's what I went with. Much better now. I should have went with an adjustable from the start.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Thanks for the update! Thats good to hear. I'm very happy with mine (different brand but same thing) and it opens up a lot of possibilities for fine tuning with subs and shooting suppressed too.
300blk_kid

Post by 300blk_kid »

But for clarity, the OW "tunable" is a set & forget type. They also have an "adjustable" for the gas system that needs to be changed often. I have no need to change the gas system parameters that much. Tuned to support non-sub ammo, and now it's gtg.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

300blk_kid wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:29 pm But for clarity, the OW "tunable" is a set & forget type. They also have an "adjustable" for the gas system that needs to be changed often. I have no need to change the gas system parameters that much. Tuned to support non-sub ammo, and now it's gtg.
They are just playing word games. They are both adjustable and tune able. If there was truth in advertising it would be easy tune and pain in the ass tune models.

One can be tune/adjust in the field with no disassembly, the other you will likely want to pull the handguard. so you don't lose the set screw.

There are plenty of the gas screw and set screw types out there where you don't have to remove one screw to access the other, where both screws can be accessed through the handgaurd. At least there were 10-15 years ago before the fancy click adjustables came out.

Just a choice

Good you got the rifle shooting like it should, no reason to be over gassed.