This gas block with this handguard?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

3IfByAir

This gas block with this handguard?

Post by 3IfByAir »

Hey folks, currently on my first build and just seeing if this gas block will work with this AR15 handguard:

https://suparms.com/collections/adjusta ... 5711084165

https://slrrifleworks.com/ion-8-3-ultra ... stom-rail/

i.e. Will the gas block fit underneath the handguard? The handguard published an ID of 1.35” and the gas block as being 1.383”. I’m just not sure how exacting these measurements are. If someone has these products just seeing what your experience is. Thanks!
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: This gas block with this handguard?

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I don't believe the published ID includes the space under the pic rail where the top of the gas block and gas tube will be located. So, I believe it will fit. My handguard has a 1.3" ID and I am running this gas block. I love it by the way. Are you going to be running a supressor with it? It really helps eliminate a lot of gas in the face and lets you adjust it way down to only the gas you need so you can go with a lightweight BCG/Buffer if you choose. I've got mine set up to run 115 gr. subs and it runs like a dream. Extremely quiet too. Also, its fun turning off the gas and shooting single shot for extreme noise reduction.
3IfByAir

Post by 3IfByAir »

Aaaahhh, that makes sense. I never though if that. That’s a relief too. I’m getting a 9” barrel so handguard lengths I need are hard to come by. I do plan on going suppressed without it yea. Probably full time for the most part too, but I’ve never heard of 115gr subs. Are thosehandloads?
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Yes, they're handloads. This cartridge is a reloaders dream. So many different things you can do with it in such a wide range of bullets that you can swap with your 308,30-30, 30 carbine, etc., if that bullet doesn't work out for you in your 300. You can pick up these lighter cast bullets for 80 bucks per thousand. Well, if you picked them up prior to the madness of the last 6 months or so. But ya, that makes shooting an AR really cheap.

I think most people don't realize you can load subs that will function an AR with a little tweaking down to the 110 grain range. You always hear people talking about 190-220+. But the lighter bullets are a heck of a lot cheaper and quieter. An AR with pistol gas should be able to cycle 150-165 grain subs reliably with a few different powders I've tried. I can get down to 135s with one powder that I prefer. Getting reliable 110-115 loads required a lightweight BCG and a Tubbs flat wire spring designed for 300 AAC. ITs half the fun tweaking stuff and working up loads though. A lot of trial and error. But when it all lines up and you develop a load that does exactly what you have been working toward, its really rewarding.