8.5” barrel buffer question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

smf834

8.5” barrel buffer question

Post by smf834 »

New guy here.

For a 8.5” psa upper, would a milapec carbine spring and 3 oz buffer operate ok for intended suppressed aubsonic rounds? If not, what should i look for that balances good ejection vs soft recoil? Thank you!
pj-schmidt
Silent Operator

Re: 8.5” barrel buffer question

Post by pj-schmidt »

I run a suppressed 8.5" upper and a 3oz buffer and mil spec spring have worked for me in the past. I currently run and prefer the Spikes T2 buffer (with mill spec spring). I have tried stronger springs, but reliability with sub sonic was not perfect. With my current setup I have shot 300+ subsonic rounds in a day with perfect function without any cleaning.

If the gun is new you may need to break it in with supersonic loads until it is running smoothly before it will be reliable with subsonic. Ymmv
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: 8.5” barrel buffer question

Post by plant.one »

the standard rules for this caliber regarding buffers and springs for adjustable stocks/standard pistol buffer tubes are as follows for unsuppressed usage

carbine gas - standard spring, 3oz carbine buffer
pistol gas barrel - standard spring, 4.6oz H2 buffer

you can run lighter buffers in your pistol gas barrel, but you're running it hard then and if you go suppressed are highly likely to have overgassing issues show up, and possibly even cycling issues (not stripping round due to excess bolt carrier speed outrunning the mag springs)

so you're probably gonna wanna pickup a H2 for long term reliability.

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.