First post, build plan, and of course a question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GunsmithImpersonator

First post, build plan, and of course a question

Post by GunsmithImpersonator »

Greetings from the Deep South.

I own one 16” AR in 5.56 which I bought, and am getting ready do my first personal build, a 300 Blk SBR. I spent the better part of this year working for an AR manufacturer. I built probably somewhere between 75 and 100 of them if I had to guess. I got fairly proficient at building them IMO. I even got to dabble in Cerakote application, which is an absolute gas.

This SBR I’m planning will be my bedside gun. It will be run exclusively suppressed and subsonic, and will likely never leave my house once I’m confident it’s tuned right. I’ve already got my barrel, a black nitride heavy profile pistol gas Faxon 8” 1:7. A local machinist who does some beautiful receiver sets and suppressors is finishing my custom lower as we speak. Everything else is yet to be purchased so I’m open to any and all input before I buy. I’ve been reading every applicable thread I can find the past few days.

Spike’s Slick Side stripped upper
Geissele Mk8 9.5” handguard
Guntec Airlite stock
Yankee Hill Resonator K suppressor
Geissele Ultra Duty LPK
Cryptic Coatings BCG
JP SCS (from what I’ve read on here, the H2 is in order)
Geissele super gas block

I haven’t yet decided on trigger or optics. The one question I do already have is this: when I was tinkering with the Gunstruction app earlier, it indicated the Mk8 handguard was not compatible with the Spike’s slick side upper. I’m not sure why, because it’s a forged upper that simply lacks the provisions. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance.

-David
pj-schmidt
Silent Operator

Re: First post, build plan, and of course a question

Post by pj-schmidt »

For a defensive gun I recommend a forward assist. After a chamber check to make sure you're loaded, being absolutely certain the bolt is seated is vital. It's also nice for a suppressed gun since the amount of blowback is substantial and the bolt can get slowed due to residue buildup. Usually this is only after hundreds of rounds, so it's less likely a concern for the situation you're describing (if it takes hundreds of rounds to defend your house, you pissed of the wrong person.)

Best trigger at a reasonable price is the the LaRue tactical MBT-2S. You have to spend over $200 to get something better, imo.

I'm a fan of simple red dots for home defense. They're easy for anyone to use with minimal practice (wife, kids), even under stress. This is not the case for LPVO. I'm running an RMR on a lower 1/3 height base on my home defense suppressed SBR.

You might also consider backup sights and light for your build.
GunsmithImpersonator

That LaRue is one of the triggers I’ve been looking at. I have the HF sharp shooter in my current gun and I like it a lot. It’s a good duty trigger. Light pull but not too light, very little take-up, and a solid and crisp reset. I use that gun for hunting coyotes, and it’s good for that. As far as optics, if I go to a red dot then I’m in agreement on keeping it simple for this application. I would probably go with a pistol red dot. I’ve actually considered just running fixed irons on this one. I will definitely put the brightest light I can find on it, preferably one with a strobe feature.
pj-schmidt
Silent Operator

Post by pj-schmidt »

I have a TLR-1 HL (1000 lumen) that has strobe and is mounted to the front/top of my handguard. Behind it is a fixed Daniel Defense front sight (sits perfectly between the levers). I'll post a picture later.
pj-schmidt
Silent Operator

Post by pj-schmidt »

I positioned the angled grip (BCM KAG) so that my thumb comfortably reaches the light switch. Rear sight is flip-up so it doesn't block the red dot under normal use. With the lower 1/3 height mount on my red dot the front sight and light are visible in the bottom of the window, but are easy to ignore.

I like a top mounted light as it projects shadows from the gun out of your line of sight. When pointing the gun down the light fills the room easily without funny shadows like an under mounted or side mounted light.
GunsmithImpersonator

That’s such a good looking iron sight. I was already thinking that’s the one I wanted. Now I’m certain of it.