Micro-pistols

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dowser

Micro-pistols

Post by dowser »

Yes, I know. Too loud. Fireball will burn the hair off your knuckles. Under/overgassed. Unreliable. Insufficient velocity for expansion/fragmentation.

I say: Bring on the boom boom. Use a good muzzle device. Adjustable gas block. Lightweight bolt carrier with short, heavy buffer & spring. Modern bullet construction. And, thirty .22 or .30 caliber holes poked through you will still ruin your day.

I humbly present one of the lightest and shortest AR pistol configurations you can build today, without having to resort to an unobtainium bufferless bolt carrier group.

19" OAL. 4.34# unloaded. Runs like a raped ape.

Itty Bitty Bang-bang

KAK 4.75" barrels (assembled pistol is 5.56, barrel shown is 300BLK). Superlative Arms AGB. Kaw Valley LC (minor milling required to fit AGB screw). Strike Industries 5" pistol buffer tube.

I put well over a hundred rounds of surplus Malaysian 556 FMJ through the 5.56 last week without a single hiccup. Nice dense pile of brass over my shoulder at about 4:00. Fist-sized group at 25yds - my cheapo RDS was wandering a bit. Time to upgrade to a Holosun.

300BLK assembly is waiting on an OD green paint job.

Itty Bitty Bangbang fits inside a normal sized daypack and has become my new Jeep gun. Consider it as a modern-day Streetsweeper.

Let's see your micro-pistols and hear about the details of your builds.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Micro-pistols

Post by BJK »

Did you chrono' the bullets? Where I'm going with this... it might be small and light for an AR (<1# lighter than my 16" pencil barrel AR @ 5# 9 3/4oz) but I have to wonder just where it falls in the world of handguns for ft/lbs out the muzzle with the short barrel and lightweight .224 bullets?
dowser

Post by dowser »

I have not yet chrono'd the bullets. However there are several charts out on the web the provide approximate values for muzzle energy based on barrel length. Personally, I would not want to be on the receiving end regardless of what the actual muzzle energy is.

When the project is finished I will have a 4.75" and a 7" in 5.56 and 4.75", 6", and 10" in 300BLK. Once all the furniture is painted, the uppers are assembled, and optics are mounted then I will purchase a chrono and provide a range report, but that's likely to be around Christmastime.

I'm already fairly confident with supers out to 300 yards and subs to 100 yards from my current 10.5" 300BLK SBR setup which carries a Leupold VXR Patrol optic. I'm anticipating that these shorter variants will exceed most commonly-available handguns in their ability to deliver 30 rounds of supersonic negative effect on man-sized targets at 100 yards. The only reason I built the 5.56 uppers is for affordable range time.

Plus, it's way easier to transport this discreetly in my Jeep than it is to bring my M4gery along for a Sunday afternoon ride down the beach.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Thanks. Yes, I can see the attraction. And I agree, I wouldn't want to stop anything coming out of the muzzle either.

I'll stay tuned waiting for further results.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Nice, but I think I might have you beat.

3.75 inch
:mrgreen:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Priceless!

We’re going to have a whole thread of guys bragging that, “Hey, mine is smaller than yours”!

But it is interesting. I built a 6” in 300blk and 5” in 9mm. Looks like I might have to shorten things up a bit more. There is a definite place for having such a small, easily wielded, reasonably accurate tool at your disposal.

With 3.75” barrel I’d estimate about 1500 to 1550fps with Barnes 100blacktips. That should get you expansion out to about 100-125 yards.

With a 4.75 you should be getting 1700 or more with the 110s, so you’ll get expansion out to almost 200 yards.
dowser

Post by dowser »

gds wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:36 am Nice, but I think I might have you beat.

3.75 inch

Sweet! Where did you source the barrel and gas tube?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

dowser wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:25 pm
gds wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:36 am Nice, but I think I might have you beat.

3.75 inch

Sweet! Where did you source the barrel and gas tube?
Made them myself.

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=102049
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

BJK wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 am Did you chrono' the bullets? Where I'm going with this... it might be small and light for an AR (<1# lighter than my 16" pencil barrel AR @ 5# 9 3/4oz) but I have to wonder just where it falls in the world of handguns for ft/lbs out the muzzle with the short barrel and lightweight .224 bullets?
I don't know about the short, short barrels, but the 10.5" that I just finished was running 120 gr Remington's at an average of 2076 f/s. My 125 gr HRN SST's using 17.5 gr of H110 were running right at an average of 2090 f/s. I was very surprised but pleased. Accuracy was very good, though it was only at 25 yards. It started raining before I could move back to 100. Essentially a one hole three shot group with the Remington factory ammo, and .70" for the handloads. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens at 100+ yards. Next week will tell the tale-if the rain allows. My LabRadar doesn't like the rain, and I don't have a covered range. Yet.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »