Semi Auto carrier for 7.5" Barrel?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Condor1970

Semi Auto carrier for 7.5" Barrel?

Post by Condor1970 »

Just curious what your thoughts are on this. Almost done building my AR pistol. I have a 7.5" barrel, and can't help but think a semi-auto BCG (vs a full auto) might be better for a 7.5" barrel, due to being a little lighter. Thoughts?
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Semi Auto carrier for 7.5" Barrel?

Post by BJK »

I think if you go too light you can correct that with a heavier buffer. I don't have huge experience with this, I don't do many builds and only one 300BLK build. I don't think it would be wrong to do as you intend, but my answers are always never that short. So here goes...

Mine uses a 10.3" barrel, but has the same pistol port location as yours. I used a JP Ent' full mass BCG. A standard weight buffer and standard buffer spring. I'm getting a correct ejection pattern @ about 4 O'clock.

More than that I don't have. Below are links so that you can compare what you have in mind to what I have working in mine if that will help.

My consideration was that the firearm must work in all temp's it's likely to encounter and I didn't want to go too far astray from the AR/M16 as it was designed. The basic design works pretty good without reinventing the wheel. Now if I had a specialized reason to change things up, like competition or some such I might have considered changing innards, but I just wanted it to function reliably without, again, special considerations.

But unless I miss my guess I'd be willing to bet a few million ARs have been built using semi-auto BCGs and they work fine. I think you might run into unforeseen issues if you go with too light a BCG, then you might need an adjustable gas block and other stuff not required on a more standard build.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/10-3 ... arrel.html
https://jprifles.com/1.4.7_FMOS.php
https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-pa ... er-spring/

I had problems initially with cycling, but not due to anything other than a rifle buffer spring in the handgun. I cut off 3 coils and it worked fine. Now I have a flat wire carbine buffer spring in it and it works fine as long as I give it enough gas pressure. One issue that might be a problem for some... That flat wire spring appears to be "twangy" and it's been many decades since I notice buffer spring noise in the design. It doesn't bother me, it's just something I noticed but could bother others. Yeah, I know what the text at the link states. But I know what my ear picked up. Maybe I noticed it because it sounded differently. I don't know and didn't analyze it.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Depends on how the rest is set up.

The lighter carrier will have a bit less recoil and movement taking the sights off target, and be more likely to be over gassed

The heavier carrier will feed more reliably in poor conditions, but have trouble cycling loads on the edge.

All this changes is if the gas system set up wrong for the carrier choice.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Condor1970

Post by Condor1970 »

Well, so far with the 7.5" barrel, it runs great with 125gr FMJ's, and about 18gr of Lil Gun.

When the suppressor shows up, I'll see how well the 190gr sub-X rounds work, because they do not cycle the bolt with only about 9-10gr of Lil Gun for a Sub round. Hopefully the suppressor will provide enough back pressure to make it work.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

lil gun isnt likely to cycle unsuppressed, especailly on a system like that.

if you want unsuppressed cycling you'll have to step up to something with more gas like 4227, 1680, shooters world blackout or shooters world socom
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Condor1970 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:49 am Well, so far with the 7.5" barrel, it runs great with 125gr FMJ's, and about 18gr of Lil Gun.

When the suppressor shows up, I'll see how well the 190gr sub-X rounds work, because they do not cycle the bolt with only about 9-10gr of Lil Gun for a Sub round. Hopefully the suppressor will provide enough back pressure to make it work.
Wondering if you chronographed any of those sub loads?

Would not be surprised if they were going super.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.