AR 300BLK won’t chamber the first round from full clip

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Rockingj

Re: AR 300BLK won’t chamber the first round from full clip

Post by Rockingj »

dellet wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:34 am
Rockingj wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:29 am I never claimed these Magazines were Gen.1, they are Gen. 2. I have done a lot more research on the inter web and now I know better, all I was asking palmetto to do was exchange these three magazines for some 300 BLK specific Magizines and I would pay the difference.

Yes I did Screww up calling the magazine a clip.... that goes back about 50+ yrs and old habits are hard to break! I don’t always catch my mistakes, or I could alsways blame it on auto correct changing it...LOL
Rockingj wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:50 am I am new to this forum and new to AR 15’s. Not new to shooting. I recently completed my first AR 15 build from a Daytona Tactical 80% complete kit chambered in 300 BLK. The problem I’m having is with Magpul 1st gen 5.56 30 round magizines. When trying to chamber the first round the bolt seems to be dragging the top cartridge when retracting the charging handle, and the first round doesn’t chamber fully. But after I clear that round, everything works as it should. This happens with factory ammunition 125 grain bullets and 150 grain bullets from a different manufacture. Is this typical for the 300 Black out? Or do I need different magazines?
It’s not typical as long as whoever puts the ammo together is aware of the issue. Not all .308 bullets are compatible with all magazines or the cartridge in general.

I had less problems with generation 2 than 1. Less problems with steel GI magazines than anything Magpul. And less problems than GI with Lancer. I have never used a magazine specific to 300 Blackout nor have I ever had to modify one to work.

You can modify the ones you have to make them just like Magpul did by changing their mold in the time it took to read this post. All they did was change the height of the rib.
Oh, I was cornfused I guess, oh well! Thank you for pointing that out. I didn’t tell Palmetto that I had Gen. 1 mags.
All the ammo I have tried has been brand new Sig Sauer factory rounds in 125gr. Supersonic and some Sellier & Bellot 200 gr. Subsonic.

Thank you everyone for your help!
John Brock
Rocking J Metalworks
Shushh

Re: AR 300BLK won’t chamber the first round from full clip

Post by Shushh »

dellet wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:34 am All they did was change the height of the rib.
The follower and spring plate is slightly different as well.