Barrel mfg - length?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SIMJOSH1
Silent Operator

Barrel mfg - length?

Post by SIMJOSH1 »

I've gotta 8.3" ballistic Advantage premium barrel currently on my ar15.. I've been doing a ton of thinking and just want to go ahead with another upper build.

So far.. I'm stuck on 10" minimum - handloading I'm lacking some additional FPS on a couple loads.

Daniel Defense - 10.3"
Faxon - 10.5"
Ballistic Advantage - 10.3"

I'll probably go 4140/50 on the barrel this time - I'm really leaning toward that Daniel Defense..

Whats ya'lls opinion? What "short" barrel length do you think offers the best of both worlds.. .10, 11, 12? 9?
What manufacturer would you recommend - My BA barrel shoots sub-MOA regularly - So I know they've got good enough quality - I assume Daniel Defense should be even better but - I'd like some opinions or recommendations regardless!

Thanks!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Barrel mfg - length?

Post by bangbangping »

That's completely subjective and depends on how much you value quiet, velocity, length. There is no wrong answer. My opinion, worth what you're paying, is 11"-12".
SIMJOSH1
Silent Operator

Post by SIMJOSH1 »

bangbangping wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:40 pm That's completely subjective and depends on how much you value quiet, velocity, length. There is no wrong answer. My opinion, worth what you're paying, is 11"-12".
Yea I gets its subjective. Asked because I'd like to know others factor's in their decision to go X length. I'll check out a couple other mfg's with some good 11" barrels and see whats what.

Would you recommend another manufacturer? I just listed the 3 i'm most familiar with... ( sub $300 if at all possible! )
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

one thing to be conscious of, depending on where you live of course, is the 26" OAL limit to maintain status as a "pistol". which will limit you to somewhere abouts a 10.5" barrel and careful selection of your muzzle device of choice.

here in michigan for example, if your ar-pistol (or any pistol for that matter) is over 26" oal, you are not allowed to carry it under our concealed pistol law regulations. its still legal to transport as any other pistol would, but you cant treat it like a CPL elligible handgun and drive around with it loaded, etc

i had to do some hokey pokey with the file on a muzzle device to get below that length when i added my Law folder due to the additional OAL it added to the gun. i could have managed it with a PDW style buffer assembly, but 20-30 mins with the file and a little rattle can to cover up my butchery got me to 25 7/8".... and saved me a couple hundred $ over the cost of the extra shorty buffer extension kit.

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Boil

Post by Boil »

plant.one wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:21 pm one thing to be conscious of, depending on where you live of course, is the 26" OAL limit to maintain status as a "pistol". which will limit you to somewhere abouts a 10.5" barrel and careful selection of your muzzle device of choice.
I thought the 26" measurement was from the rearmost point of the Buffer Tube (brace removed from the tube) to the foremost point of the Barrel (muzzle device removed from barrel)?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

your state laws may be different than here.

in michigan - as i best understand it - for our CPL rules on length its the max operating length of the firearm with all accessories installed that the OAL measurement is based on - so thats buffer tube accessories, muzzle devices etc. you're not allowed to remove anything, or shorten adjustable items to their minimum to meet the requirement. otherwise i would be carrying my pistol with my suppressor attached because that SOB sure is nasty loud with the shorty brake w/ QD (needed to stay under 26" - and i still had to modify it shorter to get my 25 7/8" oal) on there with the 9" barrel and the LAW folder (1.3" oal added for that).
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Ideawdup

-

Post by Ideawdup »

we all have our preferences, but when sights come marked in inches and they are real inches, regardless of barrel length, it makes sense to stay in inches to me.

The difference between MOA and inches at the target face are not too great in short distances, but error is additive you know.

Brent
300blk_kid

Post by 300blk_kid »

Oddly the States think they can re-write Fed law.
The OAL by Fed std (unless something has changed recently)
--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY40MWyVEKw
--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq8TCkwZ3pY

The pistol brace is considered an accessory, so you remove it when measuring. What's confusing to me is, why are they measuring to the front of a muzzle device IF the muzzle device is not perm fixed to the barrel. Screw-on muzzle devices are an accessory.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Curious if the OP has found a barrel yet. IF not, what is your intended purpose for the build? I have built uppers where the intended purpose was for shooting at MAX ranges of 35 yards or so. For those, I cared more about weight, balance, length, etc. than accuracy. A 3 MOA barrel is grouping the size of a quarter at 25 yards. So, I don't see a need to trade cash for accuracy at that range. So I bought cheaper barrels for those builds. For hunting theoretically out to 200 yards, I spent a bit more money on a 16" stainless wilson barrel that gives me great accuracy. My point is, if you can only have one for any purpose under the sun, then go ahead and get yourself a match grade barrel. But if you are building multiple uppers for specific purposes, you may want to consider the requirements of the specific purpose before rushing out for a match grade barrel.
Ape Factory

Post by Ape Factory »

I only have experience with the Faxon barrel, the match grade 416R version. And it's mostly good. With off the shelf S&B 200gr subs, I was barely sub-MOA at 100 yards but also using a 1-4X scope with the wrong reticle. It's relatively light too, with more mass towards the center of the gun. It was also an interference fit with my V7 upper. I had to freeze the barrel, heat up the receiver. It has a teflon-coated barrel extension which helps with assembly.

I am having one issue with it and it's specifically related to Hornady Sub-X bullets at factory COAL lengths. I am getting bullet setback with that round, factory loads, in addition to my hand loads. Not an issue with longer bullets or if I seat the Sub-X longer (pre-cannelure). Not sure what's causing it but the barrel will also leave lots of strange marks on other bullets no matter if they're 110 grain vmax or 220 grain Berry's.

Have to look at my notes but I think I was around 2200+fps with the 110grain Vmax and H110, suppressed with an OSS 762Ti. It's "ear safe" but I would not shoot an entire day at a range with no hearing protection.

Faxon is sending a new barrel. I suspect it's less than perfect feed ramps or something of that nature. I haven't taken the rifle apart just yet.

It does cycle EVERYTHING. This is my first 300 blackout build and it'll run supers, subs, suppressed and unsuppressed, not one failure to function. I don't know what the gas port size is on it but I'll measure when the barrel comes off. I've also ordered a Rainier 8.5" barrel which is sort of tempting fate since I know everything works with the Faxon.