Bear Creek Uppers??

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Polecat

Re: Bear Creek Uppers??

Post by Polecat »

I just ordered one in 300blk. Price was the deciding factor. I’ll let you know if it’s a pos or a good value.
Bill
Stay Safe
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I have a BCA sidecharger... runs like a sewing machine. Smooth, dependable...one of my favorites.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

20X11 wrote:I have a BCA sidecharger... runs like a sewing machine. Smooth, dependable...one of my favorites.
Do you have to continually relighten the charging handle? 4 of us have the same "problem" with the charging handle needing tightening about every magazine. I'm now experimenting with wrapping some nylon fishing line around the threads of the charging handle and screwing it back in to see if that helps, yet it is still easy to remove when taking the BCG out for cleaning.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

No problems with coming loose... a few hundred rounds through it at this point. I did torque it to 30 in/lb with the Fat Wrench. I check torque on all screws/bolts/nuts when I get new items. You might try a couple of wraps of teflon thread tape if you continue to have issues.
Hogbuster

Post by Hogbuster »

First I'm not a weapon snob if it works without failures I do not care who made it. I own 2 Bear Creek Arsenal weapons one 223 and a 300 Blk.
I have had zero problems with either 3000+ thru the 223 not one failure, The 300BO has 1000+ with no failures. Accuracy with both weapons is VERY good, I do not shoot any steel ammo.
As long as you take care of a weapon you should not have problems, yes there are bad ones no matter what you get (including women and dogs).
I have a friend that has a AR that is considered a top of the line weapon that he has had nothing but problems with, just cause it cost more does not make it better.
I also do not expect hogs or deer to be shooting back at me.
So my opinion on BCA is go for it if you do not like it your not out much, sell it and get something else.
KenC52

Post by KenC52 »

Just bought one myself. 10.5 inch 300 blackout. Side charging. Tried 3 different brands of ammo (HSW 130 gr copper, Hornady 110 V-Max, Sig 120gr Copper Hunter) and 2 different lowers. Will not eject spent case and I have to brace the butt of the gun on the shooting table to force the bolt open and eject the case. Only managed to fire 11 rounds before giving up. Sent email to Bear Creek describing the problem. Waiting to hear their suggestion. First purchase from Bear Creek. Not encouraging.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

KenC52 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:23 am Just bought one myself. 10.5 inch 300 blackout. Side charging. Tried 3 different brands of ammo (HSW 130 gr copper, Hornady 110 V-Max, Sig 120gr Copper Hunter) and 2 different lowers. Will not eject spent case and I have to brace the butt of the gun on the shooting table to force the bolt open and eject the case. Only managed to fire 11 rounds before giving up. Sent email to Bear Creek describing the problem. Waiting to hear their suggestion. First purchase from Bear Creek. Not encouraging.
What buffers are you running in your lowers?
KenC52

Post by KenC52 »

Not really sure. One is from a 7.5 inch 5.56 pistol and the other from a Ruger MPR, 20 inch 5.56. I thought it might be the buffer which is why I tried it on the Ruger (plan to use it on the pistol lower, if I can get it to work!)
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Well, weigh them and find out...you probably need at least an H2 buffer.
KenC52

Post by KenC52 »

Don't think it is the buffer, especially since I tried it with two different lowers, one from a rifle and the other an AR pistol. Also the bolt is not unlocking. After I fire it the bolt remains locked and I have to place the butt of the gun on the shooting table and use both hands to force the bolt to open and eject the shell. If the problem was the buffer I think (I'm certainly not a gunsmith) it would just fail to properly eject the spent round but not lock up the bolt. I have put a live round in the mag, dropped the bolt from a locked back position to feed the round into the chamber and then manually ejected the unfired round. It ejects properly, and easily, and picks up the next round in the mag.

Would an improper buffer cause the bolt to lock up in such a fashion? Again I am not a gunsmith.

Also there are some signs of high pressure. Cratered primers (where you can feel the sharp edges of the raised crater) and one pierced primer. All these are high quality commercial rounds (Sig Sauer and Hornady).