Advice on gas block for 16" barrel with pistol gas system

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TheSac25

Advice on gas block for 16" barrel with pistol gas system

Post by TheSac25 »

Trying to track down some information on whether or not to use an adjustable gas block on a 16" 300blk barrel with a pistol length gas port. Planning on running super and sub rounds, suppressed. Wondering if an adj gas block is needed to reduce blow back or if a non-adjustable gas block will provide similar results. I have both types of gas blocks on hand but my Allen wrench isn't long enough to reach an adjustable gas block from the muzzle and not sure if a handguard will allow the adjustment pin to be accessed from the side. Would be nice to install an non-adjustable gas block and not have to worry about it but I don't want an abundance of gas blown in my face when shooting suppressed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Advice on gas block for 16" barrel with pistol gas system

Post by bangbangping »

Welcome.

Sounds like you answered your own question. An adjustable gas block would be a PITA. Very quickly, two options are:
1. Set up the adjustable block in a compromise position that will cycle both suppressed subs and supers. That will at least reduce the excess gas and is only a PITA once.
2. Ditch the pistol gas and get a carbine gassed barrel. Pistol gas on a 16" barrel is not needed for proper functioning. It's just an appeal to the lowest common denominator.

The LMT enhanced BCG will also help with blowback. It's nice, but you will pay dearly for it.