4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Hardrockshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by Hardrockshot »

This guy has forgot the number one golden rule of a gun fight: Have a gun.
I plants statement: Let's see where that 500 pounds of energy goes...... Even wearing a plate, plan on picking your self up. It's gonna hurt, for a long time.
De inimical non loquaris male, sed cogites
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

I'm with Hardrockshot,
Best home defense weapon for me is which ever I have, so long as I have one.
This window licker foo-foo'ed all pistol calibers. Isn't that what 99% of us use daily as such a device? It's hard for me to do my job with a couple of bandoliers of shot gun rounds across my chest while toting a trusty 870.
I won't even touch where he got his data from on the round much less that most criminals are wearing plate armor.
What a tool.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

the part that is not known is that he has a buddy that does the same thing. but only with the 300 blk. they both have a vendeta. i am thinking maybe they ran into mr. silvers at some point and he cut in line for coffee.

what stinks is that both of them are really smart guys, and do dome cool stuff, but cannot get past their irrational hatred for the 300blk
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Post by rpk47 »

I'll make an effort to take this seriously now, I think most points he makes are moot. He seems to think that if your going to use a rifle for HD you might as well carry a 5.56, 7.62x39 or 6.8 because a subsonic 30cal bullet isn't going to have as good of terminal ballistics. I would tend to agree if you do not get expansion of the bullet. That is a valid reason to not want to use subsonic 300blk as a HD, and ammo that does expand is not cheap. However, I would argue, most carry or self defense rounds for either pistol or rifle aren't cheap so, that is a wash more or less.

Ok move on to super sonic rounds. Now all of a sudden his interest in terminal ballistics goes out the window as any full power intermediate rifle cartridge is going to have close to the same terminal ballistics. Sure we can argue nuances here and there but overall they are all about the same at such a close range as in a home, aka extremely effective. Now it's down to things he brought up at the start about, and I'm paraphrasing here, "if you have pistol like terminal ballistics (referencing subsonic ammo) you might as well have a pistol for maneuverability." He conventionally forgets his red herring of armor penetration probably because the video he linked showed a 357 sig getting stopped by a plate and well there goes his argument for using a pistol too.

Well now that we are talking rifle terminal ballistics in what, a 16 inch carbine for any other round he mentioned or, an 8 or 9 inch 300BLK AR the size of an MP5? Now he just never mentions maneuverability or terminal ballistics and completely ignores points he brought up a few paragraphs before. If you put any of those rounds he mentions in as short of a barrel, then you run into reliability issues and mother of god fireballs, not good in a home, and completely ignored.

All in all he is just moving goal posts and cherry picking what he finds advantageous for his chosen rounds to make it seem like 300BLK has absolutely no use outside of shooting at paper/steal at a range with a suppressor. Otherwise know as shit writing. 300BLK doesn't do everything perfect and its not suited for every role but, to say you can't use it for HD for the reasons he gave, that's just full retard.
yellowfin
Silent Operator

Post by yellowfin »

Given that the 300 blk is a lot less blasty when in short barrel configuration than 5.56 and others, that makes it a lot more pleasant to practice with (ergo you'll do it more often) and for any gun to trust with guarding your life practice is a MAJOR concern.
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
pd_3307
Senior Silent Operator

Post by pd_3307 »

The best home defense weapon is the one thaf you shoot the bad guy with before he kills you. ;) seriously though, who would have a defense rifle unloaded in their house with 5.56 mags on standby to to load? I would hope the rifle is already loaded and you wouldnt be dumb enough to keep 5.56 nearby. Sounds like a useless point for a "reason" that its bad choice cartridge.
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

Sorry, but a rifle for HD is not my choice. The Walther P99 is plenty. 14 rounds of 40 with night sights for low light situations is my choice.
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

41Bear
Silent Operator

Post by 41Bear »

Well alrighty then .... had to stop and chuckle at this point.

Let me explain I've chosen the 300 BLK as my HD weapon for several reasons:
1. I'm 74 and a AR type pistol is much easier/more accurate to control in any/all situations I envision in my home
2. I'm a firm believer in point shooting
3. A quad rail AR, single point sling, 300 pistol will be much harder for the bad guys to grab away from me than any other hand held pistol/revolver imo.
4. I reload and there are a ton of boolits/loads to choose for defensive use in this cartridge that surpass any other pistol caliber including the vaulted 357 mag. 125 grain stopper .... without the blinding blast or noise!
5. 30 rounds is way better than 5, 6, 7, 10, 14, or whatever pistol/revolver or shot gun I might have on hand.

Thus the author pretty much wasted both his and my time with his very poorly written opinioned drivel. Just my plug nickel of course.
"Still flying like gypsies, just a little closer to the ground" Trace Adkins
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Still no surprise. Everyone out there still believes 300 BLK was primarily conceived for quiet suppressor use. When in fact, that reason was just a side benefit.

Adopting a 30cal bullet in an unmodified AR with no quirks was the main goal.
And meeting that goal allowed for lots of side benefits: improved ballistics over 556, shorter barrel lengths, supersonic and subsonic loads, silencer friendly, etc.

Naturally of course, suppression with subsonics is the most popular and gets the most attention.
Unfortunately it's also why everyone keeps thinking it's the only reason why BLK exists.

No one makes a stink about 147gr 9mm or 230gr 45acp for home defense. And those are subsonics also.
Larry B
Silent But Deadly

Post by Larry B »

While I think the author of the article is a retard who has never confronted a possible bad guy on his property my first choice for a HD weapon is still my Mossburg pump with a 18" slug barrel loaded with high brass no. 4 shot. I live on 4 acres in the country and I have confronted questionable visitors. A 12ga still speaks volumes. Of course now that I have a 10.5" upper I might consider doing an SBR and forget a supressor and load it with some hot supers. I guess stepping out the back door with a "black rifle" would convey the same message as the 12ga.