4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators:gds, bakerjw, renegade

User avatar
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator
Posts:143
Joined:Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:04 pm
Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by BlackLight » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:06 pm

My version:

A Mozambique drill. Two to the chest, the rest to the head until they drop
Lefties are members of a suicide cult who want to compel your membership

BulletFlight for Android
User avatar
plant.one
Silent But Deadly
Posts:6787
Joined:Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:31 pm
Location:Oakland County, MI

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by plant.one » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:19 pm

my ccw instructor suggested that one of the best tactics if you have to shoot a bad guy was to "button the shirt". or try to shoot the buttons off the shirt if you will.

start at the belt buckle (pelvis shot - instant mobility remover and two of the largest blood passageways in the body pass through the pelvis area) and work your way up the centerline
two main reasons
a) it allows the bullets to still have someplace to impact as the body is collapsing due to a hit if the pelvic shot does connect properly
b) if one hit doesn't take them down, you've still got lots of room to work with as the muzzle of the gun naturally rises due to recoil.

this puts your shots right down the center axis of the body - right where the vital organs are to do the most damage and potentially give you a one shot stop if you happen to hit the spinal column anywhere along they way. very little body armor accounts for the pelvic/low spine shot so this gives you a 2nd "stop the threat now" area to start with as well as most plates are purely designed to stop hits to the upper chest vital area around the heart/lungs.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.

User avatar
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator
Posts:143
Joined:Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:04 pm

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by BlackLight » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:18 pm

That's a valid gameplan IMO, except if they are wearing body armor, the time lost might get you incoming.. There's no easy solution with a non AP loaded handgun. Thanks, Reagan :roll:
Lefties are members of a suicide cult who want to compel your membership

User avatar
Badfinger
Silent But Deadly
Posts:194
Joined:Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:24 pm
Location:S/W Ohio

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by Badfinger » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:58 am

plant.one wrote:my ccw instructor suggested that one of the best tactics if you have to shoot a bad guy was to "button the shirt". or try to shoot the buttons off the shirt if you will.

start at the belt buckle (pelvis shot - instant mobility remover and two of the largest blood passageways in the body pass through the pelvis area) and work your way up the centerline
two main reasons
a) it allows the bullets to still have someplace to impact as the body is collapsing due to a hit if the pelvic shot does connect properly
b) if one hit doesn't take them down, you've still got lots of room to work with as the muzzle of the gun naturally rises due to recoil.
Wise instructor, must be a student of Massad Ayoob, he teaches something very similar.

User avatar
plant.one
Silent But Deadly
Posts:6787
Joined:Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:31 pm
Location:Oakland County, MI

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by plant.one » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:37 am

Badfinger wrote:Wise instructor, must be a student of Massad Ayoob, he teaches something very similar.

he's a student of hard knocks in the Inkster, MI Police Department. its not one of the nicer sections of the detroit metro area. they dont have time to screw around. he's had to use his service pistol on bad guys trying to do bad things - so BDTD.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.

BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly
Posts:1311
Joined:Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by BlogSarge » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:58 am

plant.one wrote:my ccw instructor suggested that one of the best tactics if you have to shoot a bad guy was to "button the shirt". or try to shoot the buttons off the shirt if you will.

start at the belt buckle (pelvis shot - instant mobility remover and two of the largest blood passageways in the body pass through the pelvis area) and work your way up the centerline
two main reasons
a) it allows the bullets to still have someplace to impact as the body is collapsing due to a hit if the pelvic shot does connect properly
b) if one hit doesn't take them down, you've still got lots of room to work with as the muzzle of the gun naturally rises due to recoil.

this puts your shots right down the center axis of the body - right where the vital organs are to do the most damage and potentially give you a one shot stop if you happen to hit the spinal column anywhere along they way. very little body armor accounts for the pelvic/low spine shot so this gives you a 2nd "stop the threat now" area to start with as well as most plates are purely designed to stop hits to the upper chest vital area around the heart/lungs.


I've been teaching this as a "vertical Tracking" drill for 20 or so years. It is a good plan unless, as stated, body armor is worn. Still, as I teach it, you start at the pelvis and rapidly track up to the head. 6 to 10 shots in 2 or 3 seconds with the noggin shots to finish the event should still work well.

User avatar
cdynaco
Silent But Deadly
Posts:372
Joined:Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:32 pm
Location:NW Mtns-State of Jefferson-USA

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by cdynaco » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:34 pm

BlackLight wrote:That's a valid gameplan IMO, except if they are wearing body armor, the time lost might get you incoming.. There's no easy solution with a non AP loaded handgun. Thanks, Reagan :roll:
President's don't write law - your Congress does. Well--unless its chairman hobama.
Charliehorse

User avatar
cdynaco
Silent But Deadly
Posts:372
Joined:Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:32 pm
Location:NW Mtns-State of Jefferson-USA

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by cdynaco » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:35 pm

plant.one wrote:my ccw instructor suggested that one of the best tactics if you have to shoot a bad guy was to "button the shirt". or try to shoot the buttons off the shirt if you will.

.
Interesting...
Charliehorse

User avatar
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator
Posts:143
Joined:Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:04 pm

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by BlackLight » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:29 am

cdynaco wrote:
BlackLight wrote:That's a valid gameplan IMO, except if they are wearing body armor, the time lost might get you incoming.. There's no easy solution with a non AP loaded handgun. Thanks, Reagan :roll:
President's don't write law - your Congress does. Well--unless its chairman hobama.
He signed it, didn't he?
Lefties are members of a suicide cult who want to compel your membership

User avatar
gds
Silent But Deadly
Posts:3668
Joined:Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 am
Location:Sandhills of North Carolina

Re: 4 Reasons 300 Blackout Is a Terrible Choice for Home Defense

Post by gds » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:48 am

BlackLight wrote:
cdynaco wrote:
BlackLight wrote:That's a valid gameplan IMO, except if they are wearing body armor, the time lost might get you incoming.. There's no easy solution with a non AP loaded handgun. Thanks, Reagan :roll:
President's don't write law - your Congress does. Well--unless its chairman hobama.
He signed it, didn't he?
While I hate he signed it, you might consider doing some research on what Congress would have done had he not signed it.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in

Post Reply