Short Muzzle devices

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Re: Short Muzzle devices

Post by r.tenorio671 »

Blacklamb wrote:I really wanted the RMC however, I cant find one new or used. Does anyone know of a device that is similar (in size) or know anyone that is selling it, its the last part of my build.

Thanks
...if your barrel and handguard are of the same length (10" barrel, 10" HG) so that the muzzle ends at the edge of the handguard, any muzzle device that is ported needs to have the porting begin far enough forward to clear the edge of the handguard once it is screwed on. The barrel threads typically take up the last inch of the barrel.

The Brownells SMB shown on the left and the VG6 Precision GAMMA 300BLK shown on the right will do so. The SMB rides on a 10" barrel under a 10" handguard, the VG6 GAMMA rides on a 9" barrel under a 9" handguard.

The SMB was replaced with a VG6 Precision GAMMA, the GAMMA provides MUCH better muzzle control, no muzzle rise and recoil SIGNIFICANTLY decreased. SHowing a better side view in the bottom picture....

Blacklamb

Post by Blacklamb »

ShortBarrelShepherd wrote:Would you please be more specific as to what you're looking for? The item you mentioned in the first post is both a brake and has an aggressive front. Are those important to you, or is the length the primary trait you're looking for?
I have an 8.5" barrel and 1.25" stick out so I would like to keep it as short as I can, while the prongs are cool I don't think I'd ever have the need for them aside from the look at me factor. As the 300blk dont really kick in the first place a flash hider might be better but at this point I just want to finish it off.
ShortBarrelShepherd
Silent But Deadly

Post by ShortBarrelShepherd »

In that case I highly recommend the Simple Threaded Devices muzzle attachment :

http://shortbarrelshepherd.com/simple-t ... nt-review/
Visit my blog about SBRs, PDWs, and fight focused training: www.shortbarrelshepherd.com
okbye

Post by okbye »

The shortest Muzzle Device I've found is the Carlson Mini Comp (model: CC440). According to my estimate, this device would add 0.682" to the overall length, and the OAL of the device itself is 1.302". The only thing shorter would be a thread protector.

I'd rather have a flash hider, but the main drive in my selection was to reduce the overall length of my barrel. I'm still at the beginning stages of building my 300BLK pistol and do not have this in hand, so take my numbers with a grain of salt.