AAC 300 Blackout paired with Trijicon .308 Winchester ACOG?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Fossil4Life

AAC 300 Blackout paired with Trijicon .308 Winchester ACOG?

Post by Fossil4Life »

I have an AAC 300 Blackout rifle with a 16" barrel and looking to match it up with a Trijicon TA33A-12 ACOG (please see link). I realize that Trijicon makes a 300 Blackout specific ACOG in this model, but I have the ability to get the TA33A-12 for a very good price.

My questions:

1) Will the TA33A-12 ACOG work with my 300 Blackout rifle?
2) What kind of drawbacks, if any, can I expect to encounter?
3) Is it even recommended to match a 300 Blackout with a TA33A-12 ACOG?
4) Would YOU personally use this setup on your rifle? Why or why not?

Thanks! =)
WhoDatRR
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC 300 Blackout paired with Trijicon .308 Winchester AC

Post by WhoDatRR »

More knowledgeable people can chime in. But having had several ACOGs, along with several AR calibers, not sure if that's the best reticle. That looks like a great ACOG, but the reticle looks to be more of a long-range precision instrument. No offense to anyone here, but the 300aac isn't exactly a LR precision round.

The speed of the reticle is especially important with an ACOG, because you may be using the bindon aiming concept (BOTH EYES OPEN), for faster shooting close-in. Cross hairs make that a bit more difficult, but the chevrons and horseshoes make that easy. Personally, I like the chevron for 300aac, as it plays to the round's strengths... great for close-mid range, and very fast on target.

This if more of a LR precision reticle, at least for an ACOG...

I'd look for something like this, within the ACOG line...

Or even this...

Having said that, if you have a screaming deal, buy it. Then, throw it on a 308, or something similar.

And I don't get too hung up on the caliber-drop ratings. They vary wildly, with different loads, anyhow (eg. 110grn vs 220grn). But the style of reticle is important to me.

IMOHO... YMMV

BTW - do look through an ACOG, before buying. There's a small percentage of people who have trouble focusing with it. The rest of us, the vast majority, find it about the best thing out there. It's an eye thing.
Last edited by WhoDatRR on Fri May 30, 2014 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
---------------
I bet your NFL team could beat my NFL team...
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC 300 Blackout paired with Trijicon .308 Winchester AC

Post by dellet »

You will just need to learn your hold overs, it might be easier than you think. Basically use the calibration for the Acog and match that to your 300BLK load trajectory, your muzzle velocity "0" would be where the 308 drops to that speed. Then the trajectory will match. You would need to be about 150 yards closer to the target to use the reticle marks.
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=86441&start=0
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
ArmedGentleman

Re: AAC 300 Blackout paired with Trijicon .308 Winchester ACOG?

Post by ArmedGentleman »

Great info, you’re a stud.