300 AAC BLACKOUT FAQ

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 AAC BLACKOUT FAQ

Post by trenttyre »

Alangaq wrote:I also think it is always a good idea to be frank and open about limitations. Every round has limitations and if that info is up-front and clear, I think it goes a long ways in helping people decide if this is a cartridge that will work for thier application.
AGREED
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

silencertalk wrote: Silencers:
AAC
Surefire
BWE Firearms
SilencerCo

wont any .30 cal silencer work?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Yes, but those are companies who specifically made a 300 AAC BLACKOUT silencer, so I am promoting them.
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

oh wow i did not know that any other companies other than AAC made a silencer specifically for the 300BLK. thats pretty sweet. I am excited to see what Silencer Co comes out with
okent

Post by okent »

I just read the PDF you did on the cartridge. Great info!

http://300aacblackout.com/resources/300-BLK.pdf

Are there any data on MRBS (Mean Rounds Between Stoppage) to compare unsuppressed and suppressed subsonic to supersonic?
Especially comparing it to the M4?
I know that my experience with a suppressed AR in direct impingement was dismal much over 150 rounds.

Thanks Robert
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I need to redo all of that with the new supersonic ammo. But I don't see it happening until we have more ammo.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

silencertalk wrote:Q: What is the standard barrel length for 300 AAC BLACKOUT?
A: The SAAMI standard is 16 inches instead of the normal 24 inches for other rifles cartridges. We felt that 24 inches was unrealistic, and would lead to inflated velocity numbers on factory ammo, if the ammo were reported for a long barrel length that no one actually used.

Q: What is the longest practical barrel?
A: The velocity does go up and up – even with barrels over 24 inches. However, few people will want a barrel over 20 inches because the tradeoff between velocity and length has diminishing returns.

Do we have any data for 20 inch AR barrels? I'd like to know what velocity increases could be had with the 110/125 grain bullets in a 20 inch AR-15 barrel. Could one get an even greater velocity boost using a slower burning powder? If so, does anyone have any recommended loads to try with some slower powders?

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Whatever powder is fastest in a short barrel is also fastest in long barrels.
agBQ08
Silent But Deadly

Post by agBQ08 »

Could you address buffers in the FAQ? Crazy rumors flying all over the place about need for 9 mm buffers or stone monoliths to slow down bolt speed.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

That makes no sense. Why would not maker not just make a smaller gas port to use a normal buffer?

A manufacturer can pick a gas port size to work with any buffer. I happen to like H2s for short barrels and Hs for 16 inch barrels - so that is how I gassed the AAC 9 and 16 inch uppers.