300 AAC BLACKOUT FAQ

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

farm use
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 AAC BLACKOUT FAQ

Post by farm use »

AccuracyARs wrote:Hitting something at 460 meters would mean a pretty high arc with the bullet for sure. Certainly a "trick shot" if you were not normally dialed in to do work at that distance with the 300 BLK.
No trick shot, I have hit 8" still at 400 yrds with ease. With supers of course.
markjoseph

Post by markjoseph »

has a little less energy at the muzzle, but due to higher BC bullets, it is equal by around 110 meters, and by 300 meters and i think 300 AAC blackout is a great gun.
Mgoirea
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Mgoirea »

Would the small case length/light bullet issue be solved by hollow-base bullets, or are there issues with that?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I think so, but they may be difficult to manufacture. Also they will have more drag. Sierra and Remington use a hollow nose. You can also use a large plastic tip. All of these are methods of making a bullet longer while keeping the weight down.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

300Blk wrote:I think so, but they may be difficult to manufacture. Also they will have more drag. Sierra and Remington use a hollow nose. You can also use a large plastic tip. All of these are methods of making a bullet longer while keeping the weight down.
Barnes uses all copper + a plastic nose.

My question is...are there any other materials that should be considered? I think that is the next place to look for terminal performance enhancement, is alternative projectile materials which will allow me effective designs, although Copper is looking pretty impressive, and we have yet to "max it out" like we have lead/gilding metal.
JoannaAquino

Post by JoannaAquino »

That is a good question! Thanks for asking! Copper is looking pretty impressive, you are absolutely right!
Anais Smith

Post by Anais Smith »

Hey!! I'm new at hunting and this article was super helpfull to me. Some friends told me to buy at Hinterland http://hinterlandoutfitters.com I did, and I feel great with my new gun! I didn't know much, but you helped me to clear out some doubts. Thank you!
TeamMidAm

Post by TeamMidAm »

farm use wrote:
AccuracyARs wrote:Hitting something at 460 meters would mean a pretty high arc with the bullet for sure. Certainly a "trick shot" if you were not normally dialed in to do work at that distance with the 300 BLK.
No trick shot, I have hit 8" still at 400 yrds with ease. With supers of course.

Agreed, no trick shot. We've shot our 110gr Varmageddon out to 550 yards. We're going to start doing some videos seeing how far we can stretch our each round we offer. Will be using a PMP AR15 with Athlon Optics for those videos. We'll see what happens! We plan on starting the videos as soon as this arctic freeze weather gets better.

Promo code "freeship" for free shipping on orders over $200 and from 1/15 till 2/15 anyone who uses the promo code will be entered to win a free pistol on Feb 15th. Choice between a Glock 43, Glock 19, Springfield XDs, or Springfield XD Mod-2. B)
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
www.midamericamunitions.com
Like us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/midamericamunitions
RosanneRob

Hi I'm new

Post by RosanneRob »

Interesting, I'm following the thread.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

400+ yards does not seem realistic as a hunting round on deer size game with 300 BLK. My ballistic data chart 125 gr bullet, 2375 fps, 59 degrees F, 0 up/down angle and sees a 24 inch drop at 350 yards, zero wind and does not go to 400 yards. I could see ringing steel at extreme ranges but not on game moving/turning.

However, 300 BLK is my favorite caliber. Great for 100 yds or less on deer size game. I have five. Bolt and a short barrel with tax stamp that is a hoot to shoot. 223 & 5.56 cases can be cut, formed, sized and reloaded.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.