Magazines

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Switchon

Magazines

Post by Switchon »

Hello everyone. I'm new to 300 Blackout. It's an interesting, capable and flexible round.

I'm curious about your experiences with different magazines. I have Magpul, Lancer and Duramag 20 and 30 round 5.56 mags. Do these perform well with 300 Blackout?
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Magazines

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

The Magpul magazines are excellent for a wide range of supers and subs.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Mil-Spec metal, Magpul, Lancer, Duramag have all worked well. The Lancers have been hard to seat when full and with BCG closed, but they are that way with 5.56 also.
Switchon

Post by Switchon »

Thanks for the info.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Lancer makes a 300BLK specific mag that is designed to work better for heavy bulleted loads (or just to part shooters with $ ?) . I've used them and bought them when I saw them on sale instead of 5.56 mags at the same price. They work. But so does pretty much any other mag I've used. Full disclosure... I haven't used every mag brand I have with heavy bullets. But others have stated that special mags aren't required for 300BLK on these pages, or so I remember. Yet I have those special Lancers with the heavy springs and I reserve them for 300BLK and marked them specifically for 300BLK. More on that in a bit.

As with anything "firearm" test and keep what works in your firearm. If a magazine doesn't work in it use it elsewhere or sell them.

I have magazine brands that common internet knowledge tells me are absolute garbage, yet they work fine and have for years for me with many thousands of rounds put through them with no mag' related malfunctions. I think someone gets a hair across their butt for some reason, makes a statement that others pick up on and it takes on a life of it's own, everyone wanting to sound like an authority whether they have experience or not. Lots of armchair commandos out there and they all have a voice due to the 'net. That's why I tell you to test for yourself, esp' if someone says "this is garbage".

One caution I will repeat, and I'm not going to test it and you'll figure out why. Never have mags or ammo for 300BLK in the same area when firing .223/5.56. It has been suggested that 300BLK can chamber and fire in a 5.56 chambered firearm. The .30 bullet, should it chamber and fire has a tough time swaging down to .22 with a really bad result. That's another reason I have specially and plainly marked 300BLK mags and I never have both in use at the same time. I go so far as not having both out at the same time. Only one is out at any one time and all of the other is completely "away" and unavailable. Whatever you do, don't put 300BLK cartridges in 5.56 mags and expect them to not make for a really bad day if both firearms are out and in use. Yes, both mags are interchangeable and you won't get a second chance if a mistake is made. This has been a problem for many years with other cartridges/shells. The classic I know of is putting a 20 gauge in a 12 gauge chamber, then putting a 12 gauge behind it. It only works until the 12 gauge is touched off, then it's a disaster. I'm fairly certain a light supersonic bulleted 300BLK load will chamber in a 5.56 chamber, but it'll be a disaster if the primer is set off. No, I won't even try to chamber one to test it.
Switchon

Post by Switchon »

Great advice. I saw a video of someone chambering a 300 Blackout round in a 5.56 intentionally to demonstrate the result. He tied a 100 ft. string to the trigger and pulled it.

It was ugly.

Needless to say, the rifle was ruined. If someone had been holding it, they may have been injured in some way.
ZemaIon

Post by ZemaIon »

I don't have any personal experience with 300 Blackout specifically, as I prefer the best literary magazines. Still, I do know that it's generally recommended to use magazines designed explicitly for 300 Blackout to ensure proper function and reliability. However, I've heard good things about the brands you mentioned, so they may still perform well with 300 Blackouts.
Last edited by ZemaIon on Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Any one want to guess how many millions of trouble free rounds were shot from standard 223/556 magazines before it was discovered that you had to have a specific 300 Blackout magazine?

My guess is that two to three times as many rounds have gone through 223/556 magazines since that same discovery.

That said I use standard Lancers because I like the steel feed lips. Not really a fan of all steel magazines. But the one I have work fine.

Anyone try 350 Legend magazines?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
lapopcomputer

Post by lapopcomputer »

A Leatherman knife is a multi-tool knife produced by the Leatherman company. Leatherman is a well-known brand that manufactures high-quality multitools. These tools include knives, pliers, screwdrivers, and other tools integrated into a single compact device.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I use Lancer BO mags for my FP cast stuff. Magpul works OK for normal jacketed.
Had an AR15 blowup couple weeks ago. 223 shooting at steel about 50 or so. Got spattered in chin, chest and wrist. Some blood, went to the house to get 'nurse' to fix me. Others said gun was toast, loaded 223 over some leftover BO in the mag. All I saw was mag parts spread on the ground, gun was still in one peice. War wounds as daughter calls them all healed. I'm thinking somebody was shooting subs, smaller powder load. Nobody was shooting BO that day, none on the range. Not my rifle and I didn't load it!! Sure wakes you up when it happens. Took me a few moments of wondering what the ****, then a few more about 'am I hurt?'.