I bought a 6.8SPC

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

mr fixit

I bought a 6.8SPC

Post by mr fixit »

I got a good deal and had the cash and I bought a 6.8 AR. It's a Rock River 6.8 complete upper mated to a Rock River complete lower, although the lower is marked 5.56. Now after the initial excitement of a new gun is wearing off I'm wondering if I have made a mistake.

I've had a 300 BO upper for a few years (8" 1/7 barrel with a can on a SBR lower) although I just don't shoot it much. Most of my hunting has been done with a standard AR in .223 with heavy bullets. I"ve not had any trouble with coyotes and smaller, and I've shot a couple whitetail deer without issue. Hogs are another issue. I've lost several that I did not make a head shot on, although a head shot anchors them just fine.

That experience with the .223 got me thinking of going heavier for hunting and in a moment of weakness I grabbed a 6.8 that a buddy was selling. But now that I look into it, I can't find ammo and the mags and other parts are special and cant be used for anything else. I went today to try to find ammo and found nothing in 6.8 although my local farm store had 300 stacked fairly deep both in FMJ and hunting rounds in at least 3 different flavors.

So my question is this, considering I want to stay with a compact package (16" barrel and hopefully less in either caliber) and will be hunting at under 200 yards, is there any practical difference between 300 and 6.8?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: I bought a 6.8SPC

Post by bangbangping »

There are definite performance gains, especially if you're shooting out to 200. For only one example, 125 SST in the blackout @ 2100 fps vs. a 120 SST in the 6.8 at 2400 fps. Higher BC + faster means the 6.8 will have more energy at 200 than the 300 BLK does at 100. Personally, I wouldn't shoot hogs with the blackout much past 100. Not to say it can't be done.

That said, if I didn't reload I wouldn't have a 6.8, because as you noticed loaded ammo is not always easy to find, and IMO won't get easier. It's basically a dying round. Heck, I do reload and don't have one. But I have a 30 caliber wildcat based on the 6.8 case, and usually use that for a little extra "oomph" on pigs. I shoot them in the neck, which provides some margin for error, and have never had one take a step.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

starline has 6.8 brass available via backorder right now. from stories i'm seeing on other boards - theyre filling backorders in just a couple weeks on average.

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Jellysick

Post by Jellysick »

I'm fairly new to the 300 Blackout but I've had my 6.8SPC since 2015. It's been a great rifle, even with factory loaded ammo. Just recently getting into reloading which opens up options even further. The only finicky thing I've dealt with is the magazines and currently I have a C-Products and a PRI mag, both 10 round that are great. It's been a few years since I've hunted but I've taken 4 deer with 4 shots, ranging from 80 to 160yds without an issue. It's a very fun and accurate rifle.

I'm finding a different level of enjoyment with my 300 BLK. It's much shorter, even with a can it's shorter than my 6.8. But I've only got a red dot on it so my accuracy with it isn't even close to what I can shoot with the 6.8 and the vortex scope. Either way, both are fun rifles but there is definitely a use for the 6.8 in my opinion.

I say keep the 6.8, get some Hornady 120 SST factory loaded ammo or XM68GD ammo (if you can find any) and be confident in what the caliber can accomplish.
AlexisPineda

Post by AlexisPineda »

It's normal to have second thoughts after making a big purchase.
DianeB

Post by DianeB »

I'm new to the forum...
I've been shooting 6.8 SPC for about 6 years and shot a few hogs with it...
If you reload you may want to try the Hornady 110gr BTHP with 26.0 grains of IMR 3031 and CCI 41 primers OAL 2.260...
This load in my AR Performance upper shoots .50 inches all day...
I'm not new to 300 Blackout but I'm new to reloading it...
DianeB

Post by DianeB »