1st Post, Greetings, and 300 BO concept idea

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

FromtheShadow

1st Post, Greetings, and 300 BO concept idea

Post by FromtheShadow »

Hey all,

I am a long time reader and lurker.

Was debating between a couple of forums and this one seems, to me, to be the better one simply because the others have either sold out to companies, or just are not "there" for me.

So, I may not post a lot, but I do enjoy reading and learning.

Now, the concept I have is this, I would love to see, if anyone has an idea of how to make this work if it is possible, a 300 blackout in an M1 platform? I know they have a .308, 30-06, and a 300 WSM. But this would be a pretty awesome concept, if possible.

Is this a feasible idea?

Edited to add:

Also, please use just the regular DM's here on the site. The email connected to this is not checked hardly often and I don't want to miss anything. Thanks.
GOA member. Why? Because I want my money to do something good, not just buy suits.
Support solid, statewide organization. They are able to reach where national organizations can't.
GeronPG

Re: 1st Post, Greetings, and 300 BO concept idea

Post by GeronPG »

Take a look at the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in 300 BLK. They evidently thought of it first.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

GeronPG wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:26 pm Take a look at the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in 300 BLK. They evidently thought of it first.
Do you know if it does subsonic?
GeronPG

Post by GeronPG »

I have no personal experience with it. A couple reviews are on the web. One reported that it sometimes failed to cycle with subsonic. But with a suppressor, it would probably generate more pressure to cycle the action.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Thanks. I did read some of the reviews and found exactly what you stated. Interesting.
FromtheShadow

Post by FromtheShadow »

GeronPG wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:26 pm Take a look at the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in 300 BLK. They evidently thought of it first.
I looked at that and didn't know it was already in existance. Thanks.

It is a sharp looking rifle. But the idea of having one round that works with what I have but also the classic look and feel of the M1, especially with that "ping" sound at the end has just fascinated me.

But as I have been researching this, I am not sure how you can get the chambering in the 300 BO. So this may be a no go right from the start.

Thanks.
GOA member. Why? Because I want my money to do something good, not just buy suits.
Support solid, statewide organization. They are able to reach where national organizations can't.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

The M1 ping comes from the enbloc clip being ejected from an M1 Garand. The rifle in question uses a box mag so I wouldn't expect the ping.

How to get one? Go to the link below and it should help you find a retailer. I don't know what state you're in so the rifle itself may or may not be legal for you. But rifles can be bought out of state and shipped to a local dealer where the paperwork will be filled out and you'll pay a reasonable fee to use his FFL. The shipper will need to get information from the local dealer and you need to talk to them first anyway to check on the fee and whatnot (legality?) .

https://www.ruger.com/products/mini14Ta ... /5864.html
FromtheShadow

Post by FromtheShadow »

BJK wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:03 pm The M1 ping comes from the enbloc clip being ejected from an M1 Garand. The rifle in question uses a box mag so I wouldn't expect the ping.

How to get one? Go to the link below and it should help you find a retailer. I don't know what state you're in so the rifle itself may or may not be legal for you. But rifles can be bought out of state and shipped to a local dealer where the paperwork will be filled out and you'll pay a reasonable fee to use his FFL. The shipper will need to get information from the local dealer and you need to talk to them first anyway to check on the fee and whatnot (legality?) .

https://www.ruger.com/products/mini14Ta ... /5864.html

I would be fine owning this. I know that some lgs may have one in stock. I didn't know they came in BO options.

I think the biggest thing I was looking for was the "ping" sound. I did see it was a detachable mag so I know that disappears. But there is something iconic about the M1 Garand.

But, if not possible, that is ok as well. It was just an idea that I had.