Feeding Issues

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jacob55

Feeding Issues

Post by Jacob55 »

I have recently finished my first 300 build and my firearm has major feeding issues. Issues begin with loading the firearm. It still fails to cycle, but the issue is not an overgassed or undergassed problem because it exists before the gun is even fired. When I put a round into the chamber manually, everything is peachy. Introducing a mag causes a failure to feed. If the cartridge does by some miracle enter the chamber, the bolt is then locked into battery and takes significant force to reopen. I have tried two different BCGs, two different mags, and two different types of ammunition. The problem persists. I have an odin works adjustable buffer weighted to an H3, but removing and adding weights does not seem to affect my problem at all. Any help would be appreciated because I am at a loss.
imashooter2

Re: Feeding Issues

Post by imashooter2 »

Specifics on ammunition and magazines would help.
kb625

Post by kb625 »

I have a friend with a recent AR-10/.308 build that had similar issues other than the hard to get out of battery with a round in the chamber. He also swapped out the lower to no avail. for any of his issues. Plus his bolt would not lock back on an empty mag. His issues were 1) the stock buffer was too long and was remedied by cutting the "plastic" buffer "tip" to a shorter length, 2) along with switching to Magpul P-mags. Now it runs well.
kb625

Post by kb625 »

Disregard my previous comment about swapping the lower to no avail. That was not performed.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

kb625 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:48 pm I have a friend with a recent AR-10/.308 build that had similar issues other than the hard to get out of battery with a round in the chamber. He also swapped out the lower to no avail. for any of his issues. Plus his bolt would not lock back on an empty mag. His issues were 1) the stock buffer was too long and was remedied by cutting the "plastic" buffer "tip" to a shorter length, 2) along with switching to Magpul P-mags. Now it runs well.

this is specifically an AR-308 platform problem and has nothing to do with the ar-15 platform. its a symptom of the wrong buffer tube and spring combo, and or using an ar-15 buffer thinking they're compatable - which they are in *some* systems but not most. ar-308's dont have a "mil spec" standard to follow so there's a big combo of sh!t out there that can cause FUBAR issues if you try to mix and match.

so that simply wont be an issue in the ar-15 platform, so you can clearly also disregard this issue as well regarding this thread.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.