Starting new project/build

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Starting new project/build

Post by 07Kingpin »

Been gathering parts and it's finally starting to come together!

Plan is for a light, compact walking rifle. sporter stock, 18" threaded barrel.

Want to be able to take deer at reasonable distances, varmint control (suppressed subs) and possibly some local offhand shoots.

Just go the action back from a T&T and couldn't be happier with it- very smooth and trigger is absolutely amazing- Fred at SSS does great work.

More pics and updates to come!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Starting new project/build

Post by dellet »

Look forward to seeing a nice bolt rifle. Not enough people take the time and effort and they really do shoot nice.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
AlinMi

Post by AlinMi »

What barrel you using?
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Sounds like a nice build, you will like the bolt action versatility for supers or subs. I had a hard core 7.62x39 guy stomp pretty hard on my mention of 300 BLK. Once he was informed about shooting bullets from 90 -245 gr at whatever velocity I wanted, he backed up a bit in attitude. I explained I could do it all in my RARR and in any order. I have no ill feelings about his choice in platform, mine however seems seems a better fit for me and the grand kids 8)
07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Post by 07Kingpin »

Thanks for the replies!

Barrel is a Shilen Select Match 1:7.

With this project I thought long and hard about which chambering to go with, the 7.62x39 was definitely a contender, as were 6x45, 6.5 Grendel, 338 Whisper and a few others. As always it came down to form following function. Proper bullet selection and super loads should support hunting medium game out to reasonable ranges, varmint work and target shooting. I also wanted the ability to run subs accurately and hopefully this barrel allows that.

For optics I went with a Vortex PST 2.5-10 with their EBR-1 mil/mil reticle. 10x will be more than enough for my ranges, I like the graduated reticle for ranging and use with different loads and it is illuminated which with the lower powers can be handy dispatching pests.

The stock was a tough choice. I've used Manners, B&C, Stockade and a few others, even went with a chassis system on 308 for a while. The big difference with this rifle is that it is intended to be used 99% offhand or with an improvised rest at best. That being the case the factory stock kind of fits as a light, quick handling option. I'll at least give it a whirl, with some pillar bedding and maybe a little stiffening up we'll see. I also have used Hogue's overmolded with the full al frame and it may be an option- open to suggestions.

At this point have everything but the barrel, which *should* arrive any day.
07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Post by 07Kingpin »

Just waiting on a barrel...
Smitters1775

Post by Smitters1775 »

I’m following this for build, it’s almost exactly what I’m trying to do!
07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Post by 07Kingpin »

Thanks! Barrel is past due- just hanging out at this point.
07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Post by 07Kingpin »

Still no barrel..
07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Post by 07Kingpin »

Got confirmation today of what I'd been suspecting- barrel never got made.

Apparently a "computer glitch" the PO dropped but wasn't received by Shilen.

Not the end of the world, accidents happen and hopefully now we are back on track.

Will update.