Small pistol primer instead of small rifle

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

noname
Silent Operator

Small pistol primer instead of small rifle

Post by noname »

I was loading small pistol loads and loaded 24 subsonic 300 BO for plinking before I discovered the mistake. Any known risk? I'd rather shoot them out than pull that many for just shooting pine cones.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: Small pistol primer instead of small rifle

Post by blaster »

supposedly the primer cup in pistol primers is softer and MIGHT blow out in a high pressure rifle load. I don't know how true this is. since you loaded sub sonic and not max loads, I wouldn't worry about it. I have been using small rifle primers in my pistol loads and have yet to have any misfires or light primer strikes from a variety of pistols & calibers. I didn't see any difference in velocities in any of the reloads I chrono graphed either. also years ago I loaded up some .223 with small pistol primers for use in a power head. the reason was I thought the pistol primers having a softer cup would detonate easier if i didn't hit the fish in a hard part of the head. I did shoot a few through my Mini 14 and none of the primers were pierced or blown out. personally, I don't think there is any difference in the small primers. large rifle primers are a few thousandths longer and won't seat all the way in pistol brass.
peace through superior firepower
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

noname wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:50 pm I was loading small pistol loads and loaded 24 subsonic 300 BO for plinking before I discovered the mistake. Any known risk? I'd rather shoot them out than pull that many for just shooting pine cones.
Depends on a lot of things, which pistol primer, powder, bullet, charge weight. AR or bolt. All the standard stuff.

Magnum pistol vs regular small rifle you can get away with. Regular small pistol it gets more complicated unless it’s a bolt gun. Low pressure loads should not be a problem, but some powders need better ignition.

I’ll throw Remington 1 1/2 ‘s out there for an example, says right on the box, do not use for 40 S&W, 357 mag and other high pressure cartridges. That primer in an AR could be real trouble, even with a bolt gun with poor firing pin fit in the bolt can allow enough primer to flow into the bolt around the firing pin to blow a hole in the primer.

I use the 1 1/2 ‘s because they show pressure at 30,000 psi, in a lot of my antiques. I don’t want pressures over about 25,000, and those primers will show pressure signs well below that number.

Hope that’s a bit of help
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

If snow stays around, I think I'll give it a try in my bolt gun. Snow splatters well behind a target, in this case a pine cone. Used CCI small pistol by mistake, then changed to CCI small rifle. Before we moved I bought a box of 10k in both small rifle and small pistol as I had to pack everything up for the move. I don't usually buy that many at once but glade I did now.

The following is what I usually use in my 9" barrel AR 300BO--CCI small rifle primer, 10.4 Reloader 7, 2.065 checked with Sheridan slotted case gauge, 220 gr coated lead RNFB bullet. with H2 buffer cycles with bolt hold open on last shot. Works out with a can to 970-980 fps. My 9" AR is a left handed version as I am a lefty.

I plan on taking the can off till I use up the mistaken pistol primers.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
Hammerhead

Post by Hammerhead »

I’m using Remington 5-1/2 primers in 300 BLK, ‘cause I can’t find small rifle primers.
I keep my super load under 40 kpsi, 16 grains 4227 under a 110 varmageddon.
The 5-1/2’s are well punched in my 700, but no problems. They flatten ever so slightly, no cratering or flow.
They are definitely a little harder than any other pistol primer I have, the 5-1/2’s have given me grief in my Glock and a GP100.
Velocity

Post by Velocity »

Primer stats:
Rifle Primers are Harder and Taller.
Pistol Primers are Softer and Shorter.

I would not fixate on just size and fit, but look into the extra pressure that may be created in the case, especially if your close to red-lining your loads.

Be safe and do a little research.

Code: Select all

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/primers-and-pressure-analysis/
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Velocity wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:16 am Primer stats:
Rifle Primers are Harder and Taller.
Pistol Primers are Softer and Shorter.

I would not fixate on just size and fit, but look into the extra pressure that may be created in the case, especially if your close to red-lining your loads.

Be safe and do a little research.

Code: Select all

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/primers-and-pressure-analysis/
In short words. No really.

Small rifle and small pistol share the same external dimensions. Cup thickness, hardness, and anvil placement can vary.

Large rifle and large pistol are different dimensionally.

Some small pistol magnum primers are rated for higher pressures than some standard small rifle primers. Again Remington is a good example because they give “do not exceed” pressure limits on both 1 1/2 pistol primers and 6 1-2 small rifle primers. 5 1/2 pistol primers are actually rated higher than 6 1/2 small rifle. At least the pre bankruptcy primers.

But yes, research is required.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.