Any recommendations for the big brother .308

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JBMauser
Silent Operator

Any recommendations for the big brother .308

Post by JBMauser »

A friend asked me for a recommendation of brand etc for a .308 AR. He likes heavy barrel rifles as it will sit on a bench. He is wheel chair bound. Does not need fancy toys attached. Any recommendation on brand etc. I built my own AR collection with parts so I can't help him.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Any recommendations for the big brother .308

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I've heard all good things about the S&W M&P10. That is what I would buy based on what I hear second hand for best bang for the buck. I have no direct experience though. I've also heard the Palmetto's are a great budget buy, though possibly lesser quality parts than some of the higher end rifles.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

I have a Def10. It has feed and functioned well from the beginning and I've only fed it my reloads.

It's a light rifle for a 308, but not much recoil. If recoil was an issue for your friend, he could always put a brake on it.
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

I have a Rock River AR in 308. Accurate rifle but heavy compared to 5.56. For a lugging through the woods with a scope and legal in NC suppressor you need to have flat ground. Maybe eastern NC would be OK but not western NC where I live. Being young would help which I am not.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

For THE MOST accurate info on any make/model of 308AR get over to the 308AR forum. No bullsh*t and solid info. There is no such thing as milspec in the 308 AR world and manufacturers can make any part any size they want out of any material they want and claim its proper for these bigger cousins.
S&W M&P 10 is chock full of proprietary parts that make any changes to the factory rifle difficult.
Palmetto's 308 ARs generally need a large amount of buyer modifications and part replacing to get to properly function with any ammo despite Palmetto's glowing claims.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Ahame he's not closer. I got a 24" dpms full upper that is too heavy for me. Like a fluted SS bull barrel, uses a 1" gas block.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

popper wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:31 pm Ahame he's not closer. I got a 24" dpms full upper that is too heavy for me. Like a fluted SS bull barrel, uses a 1" gas block.
generally you can ship even completed uppers direct, no ffl needed. i cant say for sure in extra commie states like the Peoples Republik of Commiefornia of course.

its not a "firearm" as classified by federal law, so if you wanna ship it feel free.

on ar-style platforms - including the AR308 - its the lower receiver that is the legal firearm and needs to transfer through a FFL when done via mail.

then all he'd need to do is build/buy a DPMS platform compatible lower. Is yours Gen1 or Gen2 DPMS?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
GSO
Silent But Deadly

Post by GSO »

dpete wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:35 pm .....
Palmetto's 308 ARs generally need a large amount of buyer modifications and part replacing to get to properly function with any ammo despite Palmetto's glowing claims.
Granted it's a small sample size, but my experience is the opposite. I picked up two lowers and two uppers to outfit with demonstrator suppressors, a SCO Saker and a Rugged Surge. Shot both with standard Federal bulk .308 (same as I've used in my M1A) with no issues suppressed or unsuppressed. All I did was a little light cleaning when they arrived. I've since added another .308 upper for direct thread (Q Full Nelson & Thunderbeast 9) and 6.5 Creedmore (same cans). These have worked just fine on the two lowers, again both suppressed and unsuppressed. No parts or modifications, other than mounting a scope so I can see what I'm shooting at and putting the SCO and Rugged QD flash hiders on. I used a couple different loads in the 6.5 CR, but now I supposes I should do some testing with some of the other .308 that I have laying around. But I can state that I've had zero problems so far with PSA AR-10's.

May not be helpful to the OP, but good info for folks stumbling on to this thread later.
I don't collect firearms; they just accumulate...

"Be Prepared" - My motto from an early age.

Greg