Hunting build

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Jaime951

Hunting build

Post by Jaime951 »

New to both AR platform and 300 blackout. I've seen several videos of hunters using the 300 blackout rifle length for hunting hogs. I've been interested in an AR build and now going to pull the trigger.
I've been reading a lot of back and forth on which gas system lengths and buffer system sizes; causing little confusion. I'll mostly be shooting supers.

So I've decided on a 16" barrel, pistol length gas system. I'm stuck on which buffer system; carbine length or rifle length. From what I've been reading/informed I'm leaning towards rifle length as been optimal. Am I on the right direction?
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hunting build

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

you can use either a rifle tube or a carbine tube depending on your preference. It seems to be the consensus(and matches my experience) that most barrels are coming with oversized gas ports. So, it is likely that yours would work well with an H2 or H3 carbine buffer if you choose the carbine tube/stock or a standard rifle buffer if you choose the rifle stock/tube. For what it’s worth, I have a few 16” pistol gas barrels and they all seem to perform best with H3 buffers or standard rifle buffers on rifle stocks with 110 grain supersonic hunting loads.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Jaime951 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:47 pm New to both AR platform and 300 blackout. I've seen several videos of hunters using the 300 blackout rifle length for hunting hogs. I've been interested in an AR build and now going to pull the trigger.
I've been reading a lot of back and forth on which gas system lengths and buffer system sizes; causing little confusion. I'll mostly be shooting supers.

So I've decided on a s16" barrel, pistol length gas system. I'm stuck on which buffer system; carbine length or rifle length. From what I've been reading/informed I'm leaning towards rifle length as been optimal. Am I on the right direction?
I think you might be confusing buttstocks with buffers.

This is a typical AR15 rifle buttstock.

What you might be referring to as a carbine stock

You can use ether, but as readyaimduck said they require different tubes to mount on the lower, and generally use different buffers.

Buffer weight is what you will be concerned with for function. That will be dependent on the loads you will be shooting.

Post the load and stock preference and help will be easier.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Jaime951

Post by Jaime951 »

I have a Magpul ctr stock and just bought the Carbine Buffer Tube Kit Mil-Spec
https://www.kakindustry.com/carbine-buf ... t-mil-spec.
Plan on using purely supers for this build.
Jaime951

Post by Jaime951 »

ReadyAimDuck wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 am you can use either a rifle tube or a carbine tube depending on your preference. It seems to be the consensus(and matches my experience) that most barrels are coming with oversized gas ports. So, it is likely that yours would work well with an H2 or H3 carbine buffer if you choose the carbine tube/stock or a standard rifle buffer if you choose the rifle stock/tube. For what it’s worth, I have a few 16” pistol gas barrels and they all seem to perform best with H3 buffers or standard rifle buffers on rifle stocks with 110 grain supersonic hunting loads.
thanks for your help. I'll look into the H3 to ad.
GeronPG

Post by GeronPG »

I know this is a little old - I'm curious how the OP's hunting build shoots. I expect that the 16" barrel with carbine gas and carbine buffer shooting supers probably worked well. That seems like a good combo. Mine uses that combo, and functions 100%, and dumps the empties in a nice pile 5' away at 4 o'clock, which tells me it's gassed and buffered about right. I wouldn't have started with an H2 or H3 until I tested the carbine buffer. My .223 needed a heavier one, but not the 300 BLK.