300 AAC Blackout OAL

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

CarmeloLabadie

300 AAC Blackout OAL

Post by CarmeloLabadie »

I've been looking at the Hodgdon OAL requirements 2.04 to 2.26 with the variety of bullet grains (110-210) and types (cabine-bowtail) and one thing came to mind, wouldn't it leave space in the magazines and allow the cartridges to slide back and forth with the shorter OALs?
How would it effect feeding?
Just curious.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 AAC Blackout OAL

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

There is a lot more room in some of the shorter bullets. There can even be a dramatic difference in bullets of the same weight. The 110 VMAX vs. the 110 Tac-TX for example, is typically loaded to two very different COALs. What I have found is that keeping the bullet's ogive at a relatively consistent position in the magazine, whether it is a longer or shorter bullet, helps keep the feeding reliable.

I haven't found that the shorter bullets slide around in the magazine or have issues when feeding. What I have found is that bullet shape matters. Flat point bullets can be a challenge in some magazine/upper combos, for example. But I can usually figure out a sweet spot for OAL to get the bullet to feed. And that usually correlates with the ogive of the bullet being in a relatively similar position in the particular magazine. That is my experience. Others may vary.