case gauge

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

noname
Silent Operator

case gauge

Post by noname »

I don't think this topic has come up lately but is important to those just getting into handloading.

I used a Wilson case gauge for several years. Then about 3 years ago someone here mentioned the slotted Sheridan Engineering case gauge. These are patented so you probably will have to get one direct. I bought one and was one of my better purchases to accurately check brass. Quick and easy check for most all of the parameters for 300 BO cases. Well worth the $40.00-$50.00.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: case gauge

Post by blaster »

I bought a Sheridan slotted gauge several years ago when I first got into the 300 BLK. well worth the investment!
peace through superior firepower
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i have them in multiple calibers. great quick yes/no tool.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
raps6088

Post by raps6088 »

What does buying on of these case gauges get me, if I already have a set of good calipers and a hornady headspace comparator set? Genuinely want to know as I’m just getting set up to reload for 300 BLK and if I don’t need to buy one of these case gauges, that’s money saved to spend on something else. Thanks
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

they are a lot quicker to use. also, the slotted gauge lets you see exactly where the problem is.
peace through superior firepower
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

The Sheraton gage is cut to minimum SAMMI chamber spec. If the case fits the gauge, it should fit in a SAMMI cut chamber barrel. If it doesn't fit the gauge, it may still fit your barrel's chamber.

I just use a comparator for headspace and measure other dimensions with calipers. It's faster for me when checking a case after sizing. I like a number to compare to in case a drift in dimension begins to occur...something like the sizing die loosening up... but that's just me.
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower