Buffer weight and spring question

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Skybaldwin71

Buffer weight and spring question

Post by Skybaldwin71 »

Well I have 10.5” barrel 300 and I’m still waiting on my can but I was wondering if I’ll need a new buffer set up to run the can on it I’m getting an adjustable gas block also… I currently have the Geissele super 42 buffer set
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Buffer weight and spring question

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Are you looking to run supersonic loads, subsonic, both?
Skybaldwin71

Post by Skybaldwin71 »

Really both I have some of both and subs are harder to find at the moment
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

The adjustable gas block will help you reduce the amount of gas when shooting supers with the supressor on. I'm not familiar with that buffer setup, or your gas port size. But many barrels are coming with a pistol gas system and an oversized gas port because of how many people are shooting subs. Lots of these setups are quite a bit overgassed with supers and do rub factory loaded subs reliably with the supressor on. Looks like that buffer is the equivalent of an H/H1 buffer. If your barrel is overgassed as described that buffer should run supers just fine with the can, and without too. You may run into issues with some subs without the can. Not sure about with it on, though. It may be fine with it on, but I would think a carbine buffer would be better.

I think the best advice would be to set up the rifle the way you have it and see if you are running into any issues. You may be fine, or you may find you want to tweak something. For subsonic supressed and an adjustable gas block, you may want to experiment with a set of ligher buffers. It can be fun to tweak the rifle to shoot with only the amount of gas needed for a lighter buffer which will give a lesser recoil impulse and probably sound reduction as well. If that is the kind of thing you are interested in, anyway.