Why do you like the 300BLK?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BJK
Silent But Deadly

Why do you like the 300BLK?

Post by BJK »

I don't have alot of experience with it so far, so I'll start with what drew me to it.

The ballistics aren't knock your socks off great if one just checks the charts, but the barrel is short and performance is fine for that length barrel. Later I learned that it was designed to meet or exceed M4 ballistics in a shorter package. Kudus to JD Jones and AAC. That drew me to it.

Another thing was the fact that it just sips powder esp' in subsonic loads. This is what drew me to it initially. It does that while operating a semi-auto with a normal capacity magazine. Heck, in supersonic loads it still uses less powder than 5.56 M4 and with much less of a fireball. I don't remember checking ft/lbs compared to M4 5.56, but it's a .30 and not a .22.

Did I mention how short the firearm is (AR) even with a 10" barrel? Maybe long for a handgun but pretty short even with a reflex can attached. But it can be chambered in a handgun too, I'm thinking Contender.

It's a dream to load for and easy to load (so far- I expect no surprises). It's also extremely versatile.

I wish it had existed as a SAAMI cartridge 30 years ago. I'd have been on it like stink on feces back them. It was exactly what I was looking for, but of course other things needed to exist back then too and maybe it would have flopped due to the lack of one or more of those other items in the chain not existing.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why do you like the 300BLK?

Post by bearcatrp »

Large amount of bullets to choose from. Easy to reload. Brass can be converted from 5.56. Plus, most encounters will be less than 300 yards. Don’t have to worry about the bullet traveling to the next county. Subs with a suppressor is just stupid quiet. Ever supers can be shot without hearing protection and a can. It’s a great caliber for specific applications.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Honestly for me I got into it as a 300 whisper. My first non standard cartridge, by the time the 300blk was introduced I was already sold on its abilities. I subsonic hunt with it, have supersonic loaded up for my HD and truck guns.

I really got into the subsonic hunting because at the time almost every thing I read said it can't be done. But I just could not abide by that. So I went forward, and the rest is history. I may at some point start using supersonic for hunting. but not yet.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

gds wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 pm <snip>I really got into the subsonic hunting because at the time almost every thing I read said it can't be done. But I just could not abide by that. <snip>
Things I didn't think of gents. Kudus!

If I hunted today I would take up the challenge too, but I can't. Of course it can be used for hunting. What do the naysayers think was used 200 years ago? The only thing different is smokeless powder. One just needs to place the shot. Maybe the naysayers aren't up to placing the bullet precisely? Just a thought.

But I've been known to use cartridges with similar (or worse) ballistics before. Yes, they work. Oddly enough there are historical records of just what has been used. Much lesser cartridges on game I'd never use those cartridges on.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I like it and got into it because it was much better than a 9mm PCC, and it doubled as an intermediate rifle.

And it was less money to build than a pistol caliber AR.

But I ended up doing all of my “serious” shooting with supers, and just plinking with subsonics as a giggle-gun. Banging steel at 280 when the guys down the line can’t hear the shot that made the 3” steel swung around never fails to amuse.

It’s a swell SBR’d AR with a muzzle can or integral; you can’t beat it as a shortie AR with those 110 gr supers at 2,400 fps.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

The original "assault rifle" rounds were the 7.92x33mm Kurz and the 7.62x39mm Russian. The 300 Blackout splits the difference between them, making it a very potent intermediate round.

Although it's original intent of the 300 Blackout was as a suppressed military round, mine sports 16" barrel. I find it to be a superb General Purpose rifle for engagements out to 300 yards, be they 2 legged or 4 legged and under 300 lbs, with supers. I load my own, and I currently have no use for subs, though the barrel is twisted 1-8" if I choose to do so.

I carried an M16 in 1970 in Vietnam on occasion, and I was never enamored by the 5.56 round. I owned plenty of 223/5.56mm firearms over the years but I still can't shake the "poodle shooter" name tag this round once had. It's my mental block not yours.

Hence when the 300 Blackout became widely available I jumped on the bandwagon in late 2011, like a fatty at the buffet table, and bought a Daniel Defense Ambush that I later converted to 5.56mm, when I sold my Old Colt SP1. And bought/built another 300 BLK.

I have pistols and shotguns for CQB for in the house threats, and the Blackout is intended for food or threats further than 50 yards. I have no desire for a SBR and a Gov'ment record and tax stamp, or a AR Pistol, which the Gov'ment appears to pulling at the 2nd Amendment leash to ban quickly.

I also have an AR15 in 5.56 for a DMR role if need be, via a Daniel Defense 5.56mm w/18" BCM SS Barrel, and a Mil Spec Leupold MK4 2.5x8x36mm on top, with an EMod Stock.

My AR pattern 300 Blackout currently sports a Swampfox Arrowhead 1-6x24mm, but I have a Holosun 503GR on standby if I decide to switch the scopes out on either rifle for some reason.
Last edited by BobinNC on Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

BobinNC wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:29 pm I carried an M16 in 1970 in Vietnam on occasion, and I was never enamored by the 5.56 round. I owned plenty of 223/5.56mm firearms over the years but I still can't shake the "poodle shooter" name tag this round once had. It's my mental block not yours.
I absolutely hated the M16A1 I was issued. My mental block was/is knowing it as the Matty Mattel rifle. I think it was the lousy plastic furniture and triangular handguard. The only thing I liked about it was the weight. I also couldn't help think that the round was suitable to be a varmint round in the states. It wasn't my idea of something to bring into battle.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

BJK wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:15 am
BobinNC wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:29 pm I carried an M16 in 1970 in Vietnam on occasion, and I was never enamored by the 5.56 round. I owned plenty of 223/5.56mm firearms over the years but I still can't shake the "poodle shooter" name tag this round once had. It's my mental block not yours.
I absolutely hated the M16A1 I was issued. My mental block was/is knowing it as the Matty Mattel rifle. I think it was the lousy plastic furniture and triangular handguard. The only thing I liked about it was the weight. I also couldn't help think that the round was suitable to be a varmint round in the states. It wasn't my idea of something to bring into battle.

thank god we've had decades for the free market to refine the original m16 and make it something we can all love :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Exactly! I never thought I'd like it as much as I do today.
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

Ditto