Why do you like the 300BLK?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why do you like the 300BLK?

Post by BJK »

ReadyAimDuck wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:29 pm That sounds incredibly fun. I would love to hear which loads you end up settling on for subs and supers and also how it all works out.
I gave up on supersonic rounds, too many obstacles in the way. So I'll shoot the CQB portion and not the random distance portion* using this subsonic load:

NOE 225 from COWW and Hi-Tek coated
11.8 gr A1680
2.240 COAL
1094 fps

When I have more time and cast bullets I'll fine tune things some more. But WW296 didn't function the gun even with a supersonic load I think the next slower powder I have is VV 120.

* I don't feature shooting random distances out to 240 yards with a red dot, a rainbow trajectory, and no range to practice on to get holdovers. I don't plan on winning. The RM and I were discussing a similar match that allowed NFA items last year and this is what he came up with. I'm just happy to be able to shoot suppressed in an "action rifle" match. Normally they are verboten in a sanctioned match, which this is not.

:lol: :lol:

I get to laugh at myself alot and as I get older it happens more often.

I had in mind 300BLK for the match due to the longer distances the match requires. That was programmed in. But once I decided the longer ranges weren't going to be shot by me that opened up my 9mm SBR PCC and can, yet I was still working on the 300BLK subsonic loads. I just realized that. The PCC I shoot normally at sanctioned matches sans can. I just got a chuckle out of the old curmudgeon (that would be me) about that! But I think I'll still shoot the 300 BLK just for "stuff" and giggles.
imashooter2

Post by imashooter2 »

Well, I bought a few lowers in 2016 and there are only so many .223 rifles a man can use. The economics of cast bullets and pistol powder reloading doesn’t make the baby Jesus cry either.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

BJK wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:34 pm
ReadyAimDuck wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:29 pm That sounds incredibly fun. I would love to hear which loads you end up settling on for subs and supers and also how it all works out.
I gave up on supersonic rounds, too many obstacles in the way. So I'll shoot the CQB portion and not the random distance portion* using this subsonic load:

NOE 225 from COWW and Hi-Tek coated
11.8 gr A1680
2.240 COAL
1094 fps

When I have more time and cast bullets I'll fine tune things some more. But WW296 didn't function the gun even with a supersonic load I think the next slower powder I have is VV 120.

* I don't feature shooting random distances out to 240 yards with a red dot, a rainbow trajectory, and no range to practice on to get holdovers. I don't plan on winning. The RM and I were discussing a similar match that allowed NFA items last year and this is what he came up with. I'm just happy to be able to shoot suppressed in an "action rifle" match. Normally they are verboten in a sanctioned match, which this is not.

:lol: :lol:

I get to laugh at myself alot and as I get older it happens more often.

I had in mind 300BLK for the match due to the longer distances the match requires. That was programmed in. But once I decided the longer ranges weren't going to be shot by me that opened up my 9mm SBR PCC and can, yet I was still working on the 300BLK subsonic loads. I just realized that. The PCC I shoot normally at sanctioned matches sans can. I just got a chuckle out of the old curmudgeon (that would be me) about that! But I think I'll still shoot the 300 BLK just for "stuff" and giggles.
If you can’t get supers to cycle with H110, you have major load or rifle problems. Likely both since you said velocity was twice what you expected. It’s also possible you were right around 1600 fps and the Labradar was having a hard time with the calibration.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

More of the story (I think).

It was 225s that were just supersonic that wouldn't cycle using WW296. I moved to A1680 and I was able to get them down to 1098 average FPS with no malfunctions and good accuracy. But they started out supersonic. I didn't bother seeing how slow I could get them as this was a quick and dirty load and that's good enough for the CQB portion of the match. Accuracy seemed acceptable. I'll know more when I sight in the new sight after having removed the kill flash filter. Resolution was the pits with the kill flash installed in the sight.

FWIW, I expected to work with powders and loads to figure out what would work. Am I missing something? I actually built the handgun for supersonics with subs thrown in for kicks. I have no real use for subs out of it that I know of. But a semi-auto in a cartridge with a shoulder that will cycle has long been something that has intrigued me and clearly nothing I had was capable of doing it. They were all designed for supersonic speed.

What I find VERY interesting and unexpected about this firearm is that every load seems to print to the same point of aim, or very close at short range. That's out to 45 yards which is all I have at the moment. I never had ANY firearm that did that. And I don't know why this one does. Short stout barrel and the mass of the gun? IDK. Of course that will change when distance takes it's effect. But right now I use plinking loads to sight it in and check with the good stuff. I'm not complaining since I have a shortage of good rounds at the moment.

Maybe if I had done the same short range shooting with a .308 or .30/06 or other cartridges I would have seen the same thing at close range with different loads? But I never did that. If a cartridge had legs that's where I tested it; long range.
EDL

Post by EDL »

Got into it because it's a versatile cartridge, cheap to reload for (especially when converting 223/5.56 cases), it's "cool", and I've always wanted a suppressed AR-15 pistol.

I built a 1:7 twist 7.5" and topped it with BUIS and a Sightmark Ultra Shot M-Spec reflex sight, and added a Franklin Armory BFSIII binary trigger. Once my Omega 36M suppressor gets out of ATF jail, it'll be dedicated strictly to subsonic loads.
Hammerhead

Post by Hammerhead »

I like the 300BLK for it's efficiency and accuracy with subs.
Been loading subs in other calibers for years, but it was always a bit of a compromise.
5 grains of Trail Boss fills the 300BLK case to the neck, and is magic with a 110 RN in my new-to-me 700 with a 1:10 twist.
Superb accuracy and sounds like a 22 rifle shooting subs.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

It's FUN. Carbine, pistol and SS that all can run 110vmax to 185gr cast. 170gr PB @ 1400 is great out of the pistol. Can't do that with a PCC. I'd get a can for hearing protection if it didn't need a fed. stamp.