Why do you like the 300BLK?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why do you like the 300BLK?

Post by plant.one »

BJK wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:16 pm Exactly! I never thought I'd like it as much as I do today.
sadly its what kept me away from ar's for so long. bunch of folks who hated the platform because of its early days... and could never look past it.

therefore my perception of what it was capable of was heavily slanted. my only hands on experience was on an older pre-ban colt that only had irons and we never fired good ammo thru it (just mil surp m855 and steel case) so... meh. blaster grade cr@p that shot like its description implies. didnt leave much of an impression.

and then i finally broke down and got one. and fed it some good ammo and then fed my first batch of reloads thru it and shot possibly one of the best groups of my life with a stock (with added optic) bushmaster 16" ORC. needless to say when i managed to achieve better groups than my bolt 223 ever did with my ar... that one turned into a dust magnet in the safe lol
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I still don’t like looking at ARs, preferring wood and steel rifles, but I sure do enjoy shooting them.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

my .223/5.56 Mini 14 , AR 15 and 7.62x39 SKS were my hog rifles. I liked the better results with the SKS's bigger ammo. but liked the shooting & accuracy of the Mini & AR better. when I learned how easy the conversion was to a caliber similar to the 7.62x39 was in an AR, I couldn't refuse! I kicked around having one of the Mini 14s re-barreled to 300 BLK but it was more $ than I thought worth. when Ruger finally came out with a 300 BLK Mini 14, I had to get one. for a medium range hog or whitetail cartridge, its hard be beat the 300 BLK.
peace through superior firepower
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

I got into it when I got my first can. Luckily I got a Ti .30 cal and while I was waiting for it I started reading about SBRs. I found an article and saw Advanced Armament was building complete rifles and uppers. After reading a comparison on a 9" AAC upper in 300 BLK vs a several inches longer 5.56, I knew I had to have one. That first one was 2012. Got my stamps back on both the lower and can right before Sandy Hook...which happened on my bday.

I now have a
9" SBR with Vortex Sparc Solar and 3x micro
12.5" full factory SBR with Viper Gen ii 1-6
14.7" pinned with Atibal 1-10 and Romeo5 offset
16" with KAC MRE and Aimpoint PRO

I shoot my 5.56 rifles a little more due to brass availability but I'll be going out tomorrow to let all four of these rip with my son.

300 BLK provides flexibility, energy, and performance that 5.56 can't. Yes, the 5.56 shoots flatter but for a short action AR practical ranges, it's not significant and is just a training issue. It's not like a 6mm Creedmoor vs .308 trajectory so it doesn't matter to me.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Thanx for the replies. Very interesting.

I've been giving this more thought and for me it's close to a perfect cartridge and firearm for what I need today. I'd love to have more firearms, but there really isn't room in the safe and what I built is just perfect for me.

It's a very surprising cartridge. I built what I thought would be a sedate load for a 180gr bullet and it turned out to be not at all what I intended. Vel' is 2x what I expected. It was a load intended to just to use up 400 bullets that I can't get more of. Think of it as a plinking load. I couldn't believe it when I saw the numbers recorded by the LabRadar.
Guns and Whitewater

Post by Guns and Whitewater »

It’s a fun little cartridge. I have one in a 16” bolt gun and a 10” AR-15 pistol. I like to experiment with subs and supers out of both guns and enjoy them both for what they are. But I mostly like the cartridge because my wife likes to shoot it and this makes me happy.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I like that its a do everything rifle, for me and my purposes. If I could only have one rifle it would be an AR15 chambered in 300 AAC. Suitable for home defense, hunting, plinking quietly in the back yard, zombie apocalypse, etc.

It also eats the same bullets that other 30 caliber rifles do. Being able to shoot many of the same bullets from your 308, 300, and 30-30, is really useful. If you are a hand loader, this cartridge is incredibly versatile and economical. A lot of people think its a jack of all trades cartridge. But it is more than that. A jack of all trades is proficient with all but a master of none. In my opinion This cartridge does master the CQB/SBR/Supressed role. And it is proficient at almost all other applications for a rifle within 300 yards or so, in my estimation. And many more skilled shooters than me can certainly extend the application to beyond that distance.

A few other things I like about this cartridge in a carbine:

Low recoil
Low muzzle flash
Less noise and blast than many other cartridges in similar barrel lengths
Adapts well to the AR15 platform

I'm sure I am missing some, but this is my list off the top of my head as for the things I really like about this cartridge that make it my favorite all around cartridge.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Well stated Ready'. I absolutely agree.

There is an action rifle match coming up, NFA items welcome, and I intend to use my 10" AR handgun with cans. Subsonic for the CQB portion and supersonic for the random distances out to 240 yards. It should be fun and something I never built the gun for. Hopefully I can get 2 loads that I'll be able to use. So much needs to fall into place for this to happen.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

That sounds incredibly fun. I would love to hear which loads you end up settling on for subs and supers and also how it all works out.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Right now I'm running into all sorts of problems. Technically it's a handgun and the state range I thought I could use limits handguns to 25 yards, no exceptions. I can test the subsonic loads on my home range, but right now I lack a 100 yard range. I screwed up and allowed my range membership to lapse and I don't want to join ($100) for just a few months ands one range session. We'll see how it goes. If the subsonic loads are accurate but I can't get data for a supersonic load maybe I'll just shoot that portion. I don't really want to mortar in subsonic rounds at distance with a red dot.