Maker 85 T-Rex

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Maker 85 T-Rex

Post by BJK »

With my BA 10.3" barrel and WW296 I got 2300 fps. Accuracy was 1" and under @ 50 yards which was quite acceptable to me and my old eyes and a MRD sight.
JimmyBee

Post by JimmyBee »

dellet wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:34 pm
JimmyBee wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:35 am Is there any published load data for this bullet by Maker or anyone ?
There us data for some bullets on the Maker website, you can always ask them. They are pretty good with support

Someone told me A#9 would be good, and I would think H110 also......

What's your take ?
I get better velocity from H110/296 in longer barrels, under 10" I would try both and make the decision based on accuracy.

What powder gave you the best velocity ?
see above

Also, what velocity did you get from which barrel lengths, I got confused reading that part ?
18" 3000 fps
16" 2900 fps
12" 2700 fps
8" 2350 fps
These are max loads and extreme caution should be used.
The bullets and velocities above were all shot from a 12" barrel. I download the loads to whatever velocity I want and shoot the gel at 25 yards with the chronograph placed at the gel.

Thanks for the answers and info.

I know I've seen the load data but for some reason I can't find it on their site (probably just missing something by not seeing it I suppose. I'll probably call them here soon.)

I'll be careful, that's why I wanted to see the load data from the company, to compare it with yours and I plan to start low and work up for my specific barrel.....better safe than...

It blows my mind to think anyone would be dumb enough to take any random persons load data online or in person and just start loading and shooting it in their own without a safe proper load work up...

So no worries here, I prefer to stay alive.

So you said all those velocities were shot from a 12" barrel, so are the velocities extrapolated ?
or like the 18" 3k number was actually from an 18" ?

I apologize for asking again just want to get my mind set on real world numbers.

Thanks again for the responses !
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
JimmyBee

Post by JimmyBee »

Thanks Dellet I didn't even know that thread existed, even Google searched that bullet with this site to find all I could.....Google is slacking lol.

BJK thanks for the info also.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Dellet did the gel testing and that's what persuaded me to use the bullet. I liked the terminal performance. I would have liked to get another 100fps but it just wasn't to be out of my barrel. It is what it is. It should still work fine if I'm ever forced to use them.

Do you have a chronograph? They are worth their weight in gold for what we're doing. I don't know how we can work up loads w/o one.
JimmyBee

Post by JimmyBee »

I'm thinking about them bc I built an 18" upper recently and thought the top end were some amazing numbers for 300 Blk !

And they would still be awesome cq distance for a defensive load.

I have a magnetoapeed v3 I got a few years back, it's been good so far once you get the sensitivity level set properly for the round you are sending.

I would like to see this on a deer, so I might have to try it and see.

Distances I hunt at currently will likely be 50-100 yd max anyway.

I'm just curious if it would pass through or stop inside.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Did you see the gel test results? Based on that I would expect them to stay in the target, esp' at the velocity you will be able to push them up to.

But you can choose the velocity and get the terminal performance you want. It's an interesting bullet. I don't know if I'd use them for hunting though. Please keep us in the loop as to how they work.
JimmyBee

Post by JimmyBee »

BJK wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:50 am Did you see the gel test results? Based on that I would expect them to stay in the target, esp' at the velocity you will be able to push them up to.

But you can choose the velocity and get the terminal performance you want. It's an interesting bullet. I don't know if I'd use them for hunting though. Please keep us in the loop as to how they work.
Yes, very impressive indeed !

The 85 and the 110 both look amazing !

We will see, if I'm able to get one this fall I will report back with the autopsy results and any info I can gather that might be interresting.
Guns and Whitewater

Post by Guns and Whitewater »

Just to add to the discussion, I’m getting an average of 2428 fps out of my 10” 300 BLK with 22.0 grains of Win 296, Win brass, and CCI 450’s, and a little over 2800 in my 16” RARR using 23.5 grains of Win 296. Both were loaded at a COAL of 2.068”.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

If you want to go even shorter, with the Maker factory loaded rounds in my 6” barrel with a 762-SDN-6 hanging on the end I chrono’d 2223 fps with a S.D of 10.4.