The 300 Blackout is.........

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

The 300 Blackout is.........

Post by BobinNC »

Once just considered a niche cartridge outside of the mainstream, the 300 Blackout ran ascendant for a few years, reached the mainstream with numerous makers of both guns and ammo galore, and has now in 2021 morphed into something quite a bit less??

The great Kung Flu Pandemic, coupled with year long civil unrest, that drove gun and ammo sales to new heights with millions of new buyers, has again rendered the 300 Blackout to an also ran.

New factory ammo is "not available"
Reloading bullets are "not available"
Reloading brass are "not available"
Reloading primers are "not available"

And what little is available are price gouged to a "fare-thee-well".

Primers once sold at 3 cents a primer now sell for 20 cents a primer, if you can find them.
I routinely bought 110 grain 308 bullets for 27 to 31 cents bullet. I just saw an ad for one box of 308 cal 110 grain Vmax's for $78.00 plus $9.00 shipping, that works out to 87 cents a bullet.

Yes, I know it's not gouging but just capitalism at work, the good old supply and demand equation. Call it what you will.

The last year has been hard on the nation, hard on gun owners, and hard on 300 Blackout users.

Looking far into 2021 I don't see a happy ending in sight??

What are your thoughts.......
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: The 300 Blackout is.........

Post by plant.one »

New factory ammo is "not available"
Reloading bullets are "not available"
Reloading brass are "not available"
Reloading primers are "not available"

And what little is available are price gouged to a "fare-thee-well".

Primers once sold at 3 cents a primer now sell for 20 cents a primer, if you can find them.
seeing as you just described about every rifle and pistol caliber in the nation right now...

its not nearly so much woe-is-300blk as it is a testimant to the buying rush we're in right now.

thankfully as our little favorite caliber has shown back during the sandy-hook induced shortage... its versatility is its key to survival and success through something like this.

you may have to work a little harder, or use components that are less than ideal - but when push comes to shove this caliber is so versatile that we can do stuff that most other calibers cant. at least on the reloading side.

and the longer this goes on, the more folks who will ramp up (especially the smaller local ammo makers) and things will be available for those who dont reload.

that said... anyone who's over lets say 25 or so and didnt learn from Sandy hook and is sitting there going "i dont have any ___________ for my gun" i have a little less sympathy for. Ya'll had 4 years of good availability under Trump, and a few years of good availbity under Obama to get a little stash put aside at reasonable prices for times like this.

also...
hornady 125gr fmj... in stock right now...
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020627510?pid=380271
hornady 150gr fmj in stock
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165163765?pid=733374
barnes 120gr blacktips in stock
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017413778?pid=895245

all at normal everyday prices.

you gotta look a little harder. and maybe not be able to buy 2k of em at once ...but...
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Hang in there.....there are still people out there with a conscience.......my reloading shop is still getting bullets slowly and selling them at pre-pandemic pricing.
I got 2 boxes of 110 gr v-max a box of 125 SST, and some 150 fmj. Over the last month.

300 Blk isn't going anywhere its here to stay.........im planning on building a bolt gun in it eventually as soon as i can source parts for my plans.

My LGS has been getting blk ammo now and then so its out there........though its going for low supply high demand pricing at the lgs.

and gougers pricing on gougebroker like always.

Im sure by the end of 2021 there will be alot more out there......but if people keep getting scared by the commies it will all end up rotting in peoples basements.

I recently was told by a friend about a guy he overheard bragging in the ammo line at Academy about his son in the AF getting wind of the shortage coming back last year and how he bought 75k primers and he doesnt even reload and said he wouldnt sell them to anyone...........

Components will come back eventually......if you actually need some bad there are some people that might sell you some at a decent price or maybe barter for something they may need.

Dont fuel the gougers fire......once everyone calms down a little it will slowly come back in stock everywhere.

Keep your eyes peeled at all the reloading places and other places like scheels and academy and beat the dirtbags to good priced stuff and maybe they will get starved out that way if no one buys gougebroker and settles down and waits for good buys.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Good post plant ! Very true
Good links too......good prices.

Versatility indeed...223 brass and .308 bullets..........that is why 300 blk isnt going anywhere.......for those willing to put in the work you can always build your own......even from scratch.

Also bc so many love it for hog hunting and deer........and suppressed plinking and ..........

Its like 22lr but bigger and even more versatile... thats why i like it.....decent powder charges and uses very common components.

Could always use 221 fireball like they used to if no 223 seems available.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
FOB
Silent But Deadly

Post by FOB »

Sheesh. It's hard to find components to reload 30-06.

Oh well that was just a niche cartridge.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

FOB wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:16 pm Sheesh. It's hard to find components to reload 30-06.

Oh well that was just a niche cartridge.
yup. and ammo's impossible to find too.

damn flash in the pan fancy smancy cartridges these days

easy come, easy go! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I bought most of what I needed when it was available. I've been through these famines before just as Plant wrote. What I didn't anticipate was the bullet shortage, so I'm going to learn to cast my own. Yes, even molds are hard but not impossible to get. I had the foresight to buy 2 55 gal drums of wheelweights 2 decades ago for this very famine. I never thought I'd need it though. But that time is here.

But yes, components are still available if one gets to work looking. I just bought 250 bullets from a manufacturer whose listing claimed they were out of stock. For something out of stock they shipped pretty quick. No I'm not going to name the manufacturer. Obviously the out of stock listing is seen there for a reason. Smart move IMO.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Anyone who spent time around here from 13-15 knows it was similar circumstances that made the cartridge what it is.

If it wasn’t for the component shortage then, half the powders we have as go to choices probably never would have been tried. The outside of the box thinking and experimentation that was going on in the years after Sandy Hook should be considered the golden age of 300 Blackout.

Yes, there were plenty of nay sayers for the “new” cartridge. Plenty of people whining about the lack of factory support and “cheap plinking ammo” and plenty of people who “were new to reloading and need data” for powder and bullet combinations that just would not work. That is not all that different than what we have seen here in the last year. History repeats.

Maybe this will shake out a few more ideas. I still haven’t given Reloader 10 as a sub powder a fair shake, but I know enough to know it works and it’s off the radar. :

Looked at midway last night and there were a couple dozen 308 bullets in stock, could have made every one of them cycle an A/R and poke a hole in something.

With all the 223 variants out there brass is available if you are desperate. Hard to pay 204 Ruger or 222 magnum prices for brass the chop down, ut it’s out there.

Primers are really the only issue right now.

I lived through all the whining last time, only difference now is I have less patience for it.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

As mentioned above, you have to keep looking or do some horse trading. Scored a couple boxes of lehigh 110 gr at midway. Still in stock. A bit expensive but lehigh is usually expensive anyways. Let’s hope it does get back to normal but doubt it will for awhile. Democrats are about to unleash laws that go after the scary black rifle. Hard to say how it will pan out but hope it gets tied up in court challenges until republicans get back control.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I would often get a lot of strange looks from family and friends when they would see my reloading stock, during non panic buying times. Of course none of them saw the whole stock. Of course same with my factory loadings of .223, .308, 9mm and .45acp. Many did not grasp why I had such a stock of things and why there was always some stock that was of limits to shoot.

Now, those same ones are asking if I am willing to sell ammo or reloading components. NOPE.

you can still get components to reload 300blk. But it is not going to be easy and is going to cost you more than what I have paid.

But in fairness that is anything gun related. I built an AR15 for my son in law 2 years ago. I spent $220 for all the parts, not including ammo, sights and mags. I just finished one for my son, and lets just say I have more than twice into it then 2 years ago. but still less than a lot of things are going for just by keeping an eye out.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in