The 300 Blackout is.........

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Re: The 300 Blackout is.........

Post by bearcatrp »

I refuse to sell reloads. But am willing to let them use my reloading tools to make their own while I show them how to do it.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

The ammo shortage and higher prices have been hard on everyone. But 300 Blackout has been the saving grace for me. I can load up something to shoot with almost any 30 caliber bullet out there. Which gives me a lot more flexibility. Granted, that might not be my ideal bullet/load/etc. but 300 Blackout handloaders have a significant advantage when it comes to the scarcity market, in being able to continue to enjoy shooting while non-handloaders or those that handload lesser popular bullet calibers don't have. I haven't shot 5.56 in over a year now, unless to zero something. I haven't reloaded much for 223/556 but I think those powders are even harder to come by based on the results I have had trying to aquire them this past year. Given that the brass is more or less the same depending on how much work you are willing to do, and the primers are the same, I think that 300 is an even better option during a scarcity for handloaders. The fact that my 300 Blackout loads are using pistol powders and common 30 caliber bullets just seem to make it easier to come across. I'm glad I load for this cartridge and have uppers that will run it, because I don't know if I would have been able to shoot much this past year without it.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

gds wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:16 pm I would often get a lot of strange looks from family and friends when they would see my reloading stock, during non panic buying times. Of course none of them saw the whole stock. Of course same with my factory loadings of .223, .308, 9mm and .45acp. Many did not grasp why I had such a stock of things and why there was always some stock that was of limits to shoot.

Now, those same ones are asking if I am willing to sell ammo or reloading components. NOPE.

lol yup. i've had this conversation too many times in the last 6 months
friend: you got any 9mm (or 223, or 22lr) you can sell me?

me: uhm...no?

friend: but .. you got a bunch

me: well ya. i learned after sandy hook. and i did exactly what i told you to do. didnt i tell you to buy a box every paycheck or two a couple years ago?

friend: well yea.. but i got distracted and ammo was everywhere and i forgot and.. well.. and.... <insert string of excuses>

me: sorry man. but still no. you're asking me for a unicorn horn 10 months into the largest firearm and ammo buy in American history. if i find a box on the shelf at normal prices i'll txt you about it, or if i see something in stock online i'll send you a link. but no you still cant have any of what i have now. especially after i told you repeatedly to stock up when prices were low and every walmart in the nation had it on the shelf

i feel like a real d!ck having to do it, but i'm not gonna be responsible for people who arent willing to do at least a little preparation when they were warned first. i hope they learn their lesson this time around.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

bearcatrp wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:45 pm I refuse to sell reloads. But am willing to let them use my reloading tools to make their own while I show them how to do it.
yup. same.

besides the fact that its illegal without a ffl... the liability is the even bigger concern if something bad were to happen - even if it was a fault with the firearm and not your ammo!

without a several million dollar liability policy in place - which no insurance co is going to stand behind without the FFL anyway - theres nothing on the planet you could get me to do to sell reloads.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
Shootingstar

Post by Shootingstar »

My favorite.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:14 pm
bearcatrp wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:45 pm I refuse to sell reloads. But am willing to let them use my reloading tools to make their own while I show them how to do it.
yup. same.

besides the fact that its illegal without a ffl... the liability is the even bigger concern if something bad were to happen - even if it was a fault with the firearm and not your ammo!

without a several million dollar liability policy in place - which no insurance co is going to stand behind without the FFL anyway - theres nothing on the planet you could get me to do to sell reloads.
I understand not wanting to take on the liability, but is this some Michigan law about producing and selling ammunition?

Federal law requires it only for those selling as a business, “for livelihood and profit”.
Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit.

No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) and 923(a); 27 CFR 478.41]
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/person- ... nufacturer

Not unlike the difference between private sales of firearms, vs being a dealer. At some point there is a loosely defined sales/income/time devoted threshold
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

who's gonna sell ammo to someone and lose money in the process?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 pm who's gonna sell ammo to someone and lose money in the process?
Whoever settles my estate.

Me, when I no longer have something chambered in that cartridge.

Some one who just wants to recover out of pocket expenses to help some one out.

Some one who just wants to get rid of it, instead of throw it away.

Maybe you want to buy some.

You want 100 rounds of Lehigh CQB bullets?

I think I have that many loaded. You want to pay me to break them down so you can load them, or pull them down yourself so you can use the brass and primers too, that are not available now?
Because I'm not likely to pull them down and have you say I ruined the bullets, without charging you double and keeping the brass.

Federal law seems clear, a license is for some one engaged in the business, for profit and making a living from the sales. All those examples and more seem like a good reason for it to be written that way.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

fair enough, those are legit. there are legal avenue's to sell your reloads without being a liscenced dealer.

but like you mentioned..
At some point there is a loosely defined sales/income/time devoted threshold
and who gets to determine that threshold? how loosely is it defined? are they going to cinche up that belt they're running loose without telling us?

unfortunately in this day and age i suppose its better to err on the side of caution with as fickle as the BATFE has been the last couple years on stuff.

i dont think any of us want to be the ones the alphabet boys decide to make an example out of for selling a couple hundred rounds, even if it were to just help a buddy out.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Personally there is no one in my circle that I would either give or sell reloads to. There's just too much liability involved. Any factory ammo that I have I'm also not selling even at todays prices. What I did do was to tell others to stock up when it was available. If they didn't that's their problem. Everyone had the $ to do so.

Not 300BLK, but today I was at the LGS and I saw 25 rounds of 7.62x39 for $30, and 325 rounds of bulk .22LR for $56. I didn't look at any other prices. They had ammo on the ammo wall though and said that while it was coming in slowly, it was coming in. Correction... I might get rid of some factory .300BLK that my handgun doesn't like very much. I'll consider returning it to them after I start to make my ammo.