New member - New Zealand

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Joe_90

New member - New Zealand

Post by Joe_90 »

Hi all, new member here from New Zealand. A country way down in the south pacific, past Australia but before you get to the south pole.

The hunting where I live is varied, from dense bush to open tops in an alpine environment. A variety of animals can be hunted year round, deer species locally are Red and Fallow. Thar and chamois tend to be up higher and within about 3 hours drive.

There is an amazing depth of knowledge on this forum, thanks to the folks who contribute. If you have any questions about this part of the world then sing out.

I've got a Howa Mini action in 300 BLK, starting to explore the world of casting projectiles for subsonic reloading. A mate of mine gave me a lee 230gn mould for casting so figured I should learn how to use it.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: New member - New Zealand

Post by blaster »

welcome to the forum. there are other Kiwi members here who have been tantalizing us with stories and pictures of the great hunting you have down there!
peace through superior firepower
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Which part you from bud?
Its like 3 degrees of separation here so bound to know someone who knows someone who knows you and guess by the 3 hours drive to Tahr I'd say Canterbury, probably Christchurch
Joe_90

Post by Joe_90 »

I'm in Central Otago, Used to be just west of Christchurch. Moved to central couple of years ago when the opportunity came up for work.
Spent a bit of time up Rangitata chasing Thar with the 270. Mt Cook area is closer to me now though.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Welcome to the forum!
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Joe_90 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:57 pm I'm in Central Otago, Used to be just west of Christchurch. Moved to central couple of years ago when the opportunity came up for work.
Spent a bit of time up Rangitata chasing Thar with the 270. Mt Cook area is closer to me now though.
I'm down Invercargill ways.
Got family in Alex, they own the Centennial court.

We chased Tahr around in Fairlie, I took my AR in 300blk but mostly for wallabies. Well before that silly communist decided that we weren't allowed them anymore.
Joe_90

Post by Joe_90 »

Walkers Bay wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:10 pm

We chased Tahr around in Fairlie, I took my AR in 300blk but mostly for wallabies. Well before that silly communist decided that we weren't allowed them anymore.
Sorry for your loss :( Would be an ideal set up for doing wobblie control.

If you're up these ways and feel like a cuppa in Cromwell then get in touch.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Joe_90 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:34 pm
Walkers Bay wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:10 pm

Sorry for your loss :( Would be an ideal set up for doing wobblie control.

If you're up these ways and feel like a cuppa in Cromwell then get in touch.
That's not far away. I'm taking the family up to Omakau end if the month and will probably end up over there at some stage. I've just had a buddy start on a Station at Hawea, runs up over the range on the left side of the lake back onto Wanaka, would like to feel that out for a hunt.

Hopefully the weather sorts itself out, I'd like to visit the Serpitine church, had a go last year but the roads hard and I had a new new truck and road tyre so I chickened out. This year will be different.

Being you on big country where do you use the 300blk. Reloading yet? And what rifle did you decide on?
Joe_90

Post by Joe_90 »

Walkers Bay wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:57 am
That's not far away. I'm taking the family up to Omakau end if the month and will probably end up over there at some stage. I've just had a buddy start on a Station at Hawea, runs up over the range on the left side of the lake back onto Wanaka, would like to feel that out for a hunt.

Hopefully the weather sorts itself out, I'd like to visit the Serpitine church, had a go last year but the roads hard and I had a new new truck and road tyre so I chickened out. This year will be different.

Being you on big country where do you use the 300blk. Reloading yet? And what rifle did you decide on?
Oh nice one! Yeah the tracks up there can get a wee bit rough, I can't see them ever getting maintained either.

I do a bit of night shooting on a mates station up past Tarras, pigs are a pest and the fallow numbers can get a bit high hence the attraction of going subsonic. The Greenstone blocks aren't that far away either for bush stalking.
I've got a Howa mini action, been working up a load using Hornaday 190gr SubX. At around 1030 fps they are grouping around 2". Next step is to play around with seating depth to see if that will tighten up.

I want to try powder coating the 230gr lee cast projectiles and developing a load for them. I think getting more of the SubX projectiles will be tricky in the future...